Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've ridden 1000 miles/day countless times. However, these were nearly always on my previous sport bikes or sport tourers and this is my first Harley. Pretty soon I am heading to Houston to pick up a '12 Softail Deluxe without a windshield and riding it back to Atlanta. That's 800 miles if I take the most direct route. But I plan on heading up Natchez trace and tacking some side routes the rest of the way home.

Sound doable?

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Sounds like fun to me! The farthest I have gone is 440 miles on all back 55mph roads on my Sporty. Felt really good after I feel as though I could have definitely gone farther. On a cozy Softail I don't see why 1000 wouldn't be doable.

·
2,327 Posts
Anything is doable.....But simple math tells me that if you average 50 MPH it will take 20 hours to get home. Leave early :)

·
Banned
612 Posts
Softail's dont have much travel in the suspension , especially the rear . Plan accordingly , perhaps a sheepskin or a pad of some kind , just in case .

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
Last week, I rode my Dyna without the windshield for the first time in years. I forgot how much pressure the wind puts on your upper body in the Harley Seating position. I got kind of tired in a few miles. You may be younger (most are) and stronger than me. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Without a W/S I'd be forced to wear my full face on a long distance ride like that .
Most can only endure about 75-100 miles on the interstate traveling at 75-85 MPH with only an open face & goggles / glasses !
Take my word for it , have the dealer install a quick release W/S if your in a hurry to get back to Atlanta !
Back in the eighties some friends & I made the trip to MOCO factory for the 85th celebration cross country ride . I was the only one to put a W/S on my then new 1988 FXR Low Rider Sport along with the super comfortable but (BUTT) ugly huge solo police seat . From Louisiana to Wisconsin & back . My four riding associates were completely worn out from constantly fighting the wind and I was fresh & ready to ride another thousand miles .

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

You'd be surprised how comfortable they can be. With your weight on your legs and not your butt, your butt really never gets sore. Here is my R1 at Grand Mesa in Colorado. That was a 950 mile day followed by a 1000.

·
Registered
59 Posts
So many people gripe and moan about riding any distance on any bike. You have ridden 1000 miles several times, you only need to add wind protection if you don't know how to lean forward and get out of the air, your butt may get numb but if the pegs aren't too far forward you can use your legs to keep things comfortable. Like any other bike, relax and don't fight everything all day, let the wind move you around and with a loose grip on the bars you won't get blown all over the road.

·
Guitarslinger
3,316 Posts
I 2nd a windshield and if it has a stock seat some kind of pad would help. Enjoy the new ride.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Why would you want to ride a 1000 miles in a day? Slow down and enjoy the world man, life is passing by too fast as it is.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts