Harley Davidson Forums banner

Looking at a 74 ironhead this week

3K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  harleytard 
#1 ·
as above. what things should i look for? are these bikes notorious for anything? Its cheap and runs (in theory I haven't seen it yet but want to ask the right questions and look at the important things while Im there its so cheap that I don't want to let it go if it runs. But also dont want a lemon.

Thanks

#2 ·
The biggest drawback would be that it is an AMF era bike. Not likely to sell easily. The quality in general was problematic during that time
Even if it's a great bike. People hear "74" and go "ahhhh cool". Steppin back in aprehension.

#3 ·
Keep in mind, a 74 Sporty shifts and brakes (rear) on the oppossite sides as todays modern bikes.

There's a thread that was done already regarding what to look for when buying a bike. Search a little and see if it's around, if not, PM me and I'll make a list....

#6 ·
I agree, look for what you look for on any other bike. As long is it's not a wore out bodged of pos bitsa bike go fo it. My first bike was a wore out bodged up pos bitsa 79 & 1/2 AMF Sporty & I gained much valuable experience and am a better man today for it. Biggest thing I remember was instead of paying $50 for a voltage regulator from the Harley shop smoe kind of $3 volksawgon regulator would work. And when the $100 cam sensor crapped a $5 set of points fixed that but that's irrevelant to a 74.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.