Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Yea ignore the peeps that say the bike the bike does not handle good.i really have no clue what the hell they're talking about. My first venture out I zipped around every turn like a tron bike

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
419 Posts
I like it, it has that classic dragster look. The designers have
done a great job at creating that drag bike look. The drag bars,
black paint and mag wheels make it. And with the 103 in engine, it should scoot along just fine.

If the front wheel is a 21, then it may drift a little at speed through the curves.
My Deuce had a 21 up front and would drift-out a little
on curves, at anything over 80 mph. The tire just couldn't grip that
well at speed. But that is just my experience...

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
I ride a Glide because I can only afford 1 bike and the wife is on the back most of the time. If I could afford a second bike for just me, it would be a Breakout. I like the style.

But for you, get what you like. It doesnt matter what others think. This is for you.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Haven't had any problems with drifting in corners. They handle very well and have plenty of power. I'm very happy with mine and plan on keeping it for a long time. But as said, it's going to be yours, so ultimately your choice. I have no complaints at all. I did have to raise the bars up some, but almost everyone will customize their bike anyway so that's not really an issue. Have you tested one out yet?

·
Registered
347 Posts
I love my Breakout but nothing is perfect. There are a few things most owners deal with sooner than later:

1) Mirrors - you can't see anything but your own arms / shoulders. Change mirrors or bars
2) Headlight - great if you don't plan on riding over 40mph at night. Get "Daymaker"
3) Handling ( this is by no means an issue for everyone) - Its a bit of a reach to the stock bars for some. That, plus the forward foot controls can make for awkward low speed maneuvering particularly for the less experienced rider. Apes "absolutely" transform the Breakout. Low speed maneuvering with apes is "easy".

Nos 1 & 2 are definite. 3 is a maybe. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am 6'4" so it is a tiny cramped for me. Reach is definitely not an issue. I like the wide rear but hate the unfinished look of the fender and the large turn signals. Thinking it would be simple to fix. Wheels leave a bit to be desired too.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Unsafe At Any Speed
128 Posts
I have been considering adding a breakout to the stable, any feedback on what you do/don't like about your breakout?
I don't like the fact that Harley was too %$# cheap to put fly by wire on the standard Breakout. Other than that, it's a great bike to start out with (to customize it), and it handles very well once you take those stupid feelers off, or better yet get a replacement set of pegs so that you can lean it over correctly. Also, it benefits greatly from installing an air shock in the rear.

·
Registered
347 Posts
There is a dedicated Breakout thread here: (close t's)

ht tp://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models/927958-the-everything-breakout-thread.html

Of course I'm biased but IMHO FurryOne nailed it. The BO takes to customization like a duck to water. Some of the work guys have done and shown on that thread is quite spectacular. Its a great thread to collect ideas and confirm fitment of parts not thought of as fitting a BO.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well rode it and the rumors about handling are correct. I was really disappointed in how it handles, beyond poor, obviously the wide tire has an impact but much worse than expected.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Took me a little bit to get used to the wide tire, but now that I have, I wouldn't go back to a smaller one at gun point. But that's why they have different styles. Only you can decide what you like. :thumbsup

·
Registered
166 Posts
Great bike. I do agree with a lot of the comments here. I changed out the drag bars for a set of carlinis which fixed the mirror issue. Daymaker. Extended bullet headlamp. V&H. Custom sissy bar. And yes, that's a 110 heavy breather bolted onto a 103 intake.

ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1425949249.940961.jpg ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1425949266.338479.jpg

·
Unsafe At Any Speed
128 Posts
Well rode it and the rumors about handling are correct. I was really disappointed in how it handles, beyond poor, obviously the wide tire has an impact but much worse than expected.
Did you expect it to handle exactly like every other bike? Look,... The first time I rode the Breakout it felt like the back tire was pushing it into understeer - I had to mentally adjust to it, but after a few miles it just becomes natural and you don't notice anymore. Everyone here that owns a Breakout experienced the same thing, and adjusted to it, just like any other bike would need small riding adjustments. After a short while on a Breakout you start to lean it over, and that's when the feelers get removed, and if you want more lean you get replacement pegs that don't have a drop-down offset. Don't be put off by a first ride feeling - the Breakout grows on you like a fungus (ok, maybe that was a bad analogy. ):thumbsup

·
2009 Softail Custom
294 Posts
I have a 2009 Softail Custom, I wish I had the wider 21 inch tires on my bike. Mine corners ok but I bet the wider tires grab better in the corners.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts