Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Presently riding an '05 Sporty 1200 Custom, looking at adding a 97 Softail Classic , 15000 miles mint condition, stage 1. Stored inside over winters, still being driven. Anyone out there have any suggestions about what out to look for or problems they might have come across with this year or model. Appreciate any input.
Thanks

·
Harley Rider
10,488 Posts
Look at it very closely if it has been sitting for any period of time.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Oil leaks are always a concern on older bikes...check around the rocker boxes, heads to jugs, jugs to block, pushrod tubes (top and bottom) pushrod block base gaskets, derby cover...basically anywhere you see a seam is a potential leak point...transmission cover and side cover...check the drain plugs too. If you're serious about the bike then buy a year and model specific HD service manual from a dealer.

·
Super Moderator
4,911 Posts
Great year, the 80 EVO won't win you any race trophies but I miss my 97 Heritage. I added a cheap in line fuel filter, she started acting up a bit after sitting though a few deployments. Cheap but very effective mod. If you can open up the primary and check out the wear on the gears, and look for shaving at the bottom of the primary, that will tell you a good or bad story.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Look at it very closely if it has been sitting for any period of time.
1997~2005 is 18 years so with 15,000 miles on it that's less than 1,000 miles per year. This very well may mean that at some point in the life of this bike it was stored for a long time and not ridden.

·
Registered
363 Posts
have you ridden it, have you ridden a newer twin cam one, you won't like the evo once you have ridden a newer one

1 - 6 of 6 Posts