Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen some you tube rides in Utah, Arizona and Colorado. Man that is some beautiful country. I sent requests to those states plus New Mexico for tourist information and maps. Now I am sitting at my desk with a double Jim Bean and ice and looking at squiggly lines on those maps. I just plain HAVE to get there and ride some of those roads. Last year the wife and I were planning a 6 week ride then life kicked me where the sun don't shine and we had to put it off. However we are going to do everything we can to get at least a 3 week ride in this year and those states are on our must see list. So again if you know of some must do roads please let me know. I know of the Million Dollar highway in Colorado and the road to Zion park but I am open to suggestions. I just hope the stars stay aligned so we can get it done this year.

·
Registered
419 Posts
In Utah, I would suggest going to Moab. You can rent jeeps
there and drive the off-road trails. In the Moab area is Arches
National Park as well. About a day's ride south of there are Bryce
Canyon National Park, and Zion National Park as you mentioned.
These are truly spectacular locations.

Then I would continue heading south to the Grand Canyon. You can
stay at the north rim (there is a nice lodge there), or ride over to
the south rim and stay there (more lodging there). From there I
would ride south to Sedona for a few days (ol' ladies love it there),
then back up to highway 40, and head west and on up to Las Vegas.

After that, you'll be ready to head home since Vegas is known
as "lost wages" for good reason....

Good Luck!

·
las drogas son malas
3,248 Posts
In June I'm riding through Zion Nat'l Park, then taking Hwy 89 by Lake Powell and down to Page to see Horseshoe Bend, then Hwy 98 to 160 over through Monument Valley, and then up to CO via the Million Dollar Hwy. Can't wait!

·
Done
4,154 Posts
Bob, those look like gorgeous spots to run through. My wife and I would like to ride those areas some time. We may have to chat at ES. Her and her sister hiked some of that area and the Grand Canyon. I haven't been there yet.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
close to four corner's and million dollar hwy also

It can get windy I think that was Memorial day just before monument valley

check the map and gps make sure to fill up and top off tank can be 50 -100 miles to gas or water and if you pull the mountain passes you mileage might go down

·
Registered
11,055 Posts
old wrench, you have gotten some good tips already. Several mentioned I have been to but never on a bike--The Grand Canyon is awesome, Zion will take your breath away, and the red rock country around Sedona, AZ is absolutely beautiful. Let me throw out another one. Estes Park, CO. Located 87 miles NW of Denver and is adjacent to Rocky Mountain National Park. Estes Park is a neat little town but just a bit touristy, but lots of good roads all around. And Trail Ridge Road, forty something miles long through the national park, goes right over the tops of the Rockies. Much of the road is above timberline and a couple of spots the elevation exceeds 12,000 ft. Have been backpacking out there numerous times over the years.

·
Registered
11,055 Posts
That much elevation effect the bikes running?
I've been there a number of times but never on a bike.

Very first time I went there was in '78. Damn right it affected it--with a carb.

But with EFI no starting problems, runs pretty well but...., you can tell it is a bit sluggish.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,469 Posts
Looks like y'all covered all the good spots. EFI is great for those hills...not a sputter. Arches and Canyonland in Utah are also worth the ride.

·
Vile Deplorable
1,435 Posts
The Enchanted Circle out of Santa Fe or Las Vegas NM is a great ride too. You're looking at about a 200 mile ride from start to finish.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys I am making notes and marking roads on the maps. We are going to stay away from Las Vegas as I hate crowds and this trip is about seeing the wonders of mother nature not the wonders in neon. We aren't planning a day to day itenerary as if we find some places that call for further exploration we will spend the time. I know there is a lot of history there as well and we want to investigate that as well.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Good luck with your planning, I've taken trips out that way Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Montana, Arizona, South Dakota the last 5 yrs and I've hardly scratched the surface.

So much incredible country, so little time. And like you said, stay away from Vegas who needs that nonsense.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
On the south end of Zion there is a little town called Virgin. There is an Anasazi ruins you can walk through there. The little two-lane blacktop that goes north from there takes you into the back side of Zion. Great ride up to some quaken-aspen.

You'll get up to about 7600-8000 feet there. There are some fantastic formations on the way up.

If you have EFI, no worries.

North of there, through Nevada (on the way home for you) is The Great Basin, the Lehman Caves, and the Ruby Mountains. If you go through that way, you can go up into Idaho via the Duck Valley reservation. One beautiful ride.

·
Asylum Inmate
11,744 Posts
If you get to Colorado;

Ride the 141 from Grand Junction to Ridgeway.

Take 550 to Durango... overnight in Durango

Ride Durango 160 through Pagosa Springs grab 149 to Lake City, CO. Overnight there... (Think Moab without the dust and 80 gazzilion people...) rent side by side and take it to the top of the pass.

Run from Lake city to Hwy 50... run through Gunnison on up to Crested Butte, take the 12 (Well maintained gravel road) out of Crested Butte to Paonia State park. Grab 133 towards Restone CO. keep rolling to Carbondale, CO... pick up 82 through Aspen .... eat in Aspen...... go over independence pass.....pickup 24 to 91..... grab I-70 east to US 40... run it over Rocky Mountain National... then into Estes..... Overnight Estes.... or shorter depending on what you are driving......

This route in Colorado will put you over more passes than most do in a lifetime....

Grab 34 from Estes to Fort Collins.... pick up 14 west..... to 40 west.... Overnight in Steamboat Springs.......Run 40 west into Utah...... grab 191 south all the way to Moab, Utah..... play in Utah.... run 191 to 163 to 160 in Arizona....

If you are still interested I can write the rest up... but you run to flagstaff then a reverse loop through Sedona then up to hook to old route 66 on out to Boulder City through Oatman then down across the state or up to the Grand Canyon.

This was the mancation run two years ago.

If you get here and want someone to ride with for some of the time, just holler... wife and I don't need much excuse to melt tires into memories.

A few pics of the Dirt Road from Crested Butte to Paonia State Park...... in case... it freaks some people out....

I have pictures of most of the other roads if it interests you..

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks guys now I am really drawing lines on maps.
It looks like I could take 6 weeks just to visit 2 states

·
Asylum Inmate
11,744 Posts
Thanks guys now I am really drawing lines on maps.
It looks like I could take 6 weeks just to visit 2 states
6 weeks for one state.... 10 for two...

·
Banned
1,357 Posts
That much elevation effect the bikes running?
I rode a carbed bike from here (1100') up through the million dollar highway and didn't have severe issues. It did pop a lot on decel but I just enjoyed the sound and rode on!

Beautiful ride. June gets hot even up in page, az. be prepared.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
In Arizona/ there's Beartooth Pass just north east of Yellowstone.
If you go to Sedona AZ go south to Cottonwood and take 89 through Jerome and on to Prescott. Jerome is a must see and they have a great Italian restaurant and other bars/restaurants. Prescott has numerous bars/restaurants.

Zion is my second favorite National Park next to Yosemite. Take the free shuttle busses.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts