Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
weird member
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone know if anyone makes one?

The transmission drain is on the side, not underneath and so what happens is it drains down the frame, I just stick a bottle in the scissor jack before and let it run down then wipe it up, and it would run over the brake line which wasn't a big deal, and I just unhooked the deutsch plug from the cam position sensor to the ignition module where it connected right below the transmission drain plug.

But now, with the new ignition, there's no unplugging it and I ran it outside the frame not thinking and the covering for the wires is a textile of some kind, so I would rather not have oil running down it.

I tried searching but all that came up were filling funnels or the oil filter drip funnel.
IMG_20200130_130657401.jpg

This is my plastic bottle I used before, but it ends up running down the back side of the bottle, assuming I can even get it to stay there. I also have a large piece of hose that I stick on the end to run it to a pan or bottle (the scissor jack is ALWAYS right underneath the drain plug).

IMG_20200130_130955659.jpg

And I need something that, I dunno I can hook onto the frame but reaches up over or something. I don't really have a way to make something either that can just clip up in there somehow that clears the brake line and ignition wires to catch the oil drain.

Would be cool if it could just hook onto the mounting bolts for the door.

If nobody makes such a funnel, I might see if there is any scrap ortho plastic laying around that I could mold into one.

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
How about cutting the end off of a 12 oz. plastic bottle, then cut again leaving a 1 or 2 inch tab. Slip the tab between the lines and trans case. Friction should hold it in place (?), and the bottle will angle out enough to clear frame. Then use a catch can. Or use a larger bottle with a cap and it will be the catch can? Just spitballin' here.

·
weird member
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How about cutting the end off of a 12 oz. plastic bottle, then cut again leaving a 1 or 2 inch tab. Slip the tab between the lines and trans case. Friction should hold it in place (?), and the bottle will angle out enough to clear frame. Then use a catch can. Or use a larger bottle with a cap and it will be the catch can? Just spitballin' here.
I have tried the plastic bottle thing. There's two issues with it. The first is that the bottle won't ever stay, it always falls. It'll sit there for a second, but as soon as oil starts coming down, it slips off and falls. The other problem is that the bottle can't be angled and the scissor jack is right in the way and I can't get a jar to rest on the jack below the end of the bottle.

How about a threaded(size of plug) pipe on both ends, screw it in with some thread sealer and cap it with the appropriate threaded cap.
I don't have the tooling to make such a thing, and wouldn't want it to permanently be there. That means even if I made one, I would have to remove it after and would spill oil.

I think the easiest solution is to just use ortho plastic to mold a funnel. I can form it to "clip" onto those mounting bolts and have a lip that goes under the door, between the brake line and the transmission side door or whatever that part is called, and mold it so the channel can turn towards the back.

I might make one today, it's raining and cold, so I got nothing better to do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts