Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking for a louder and bassier sound than the stock mufflers that's not gonna kill the neighbors.

Looking at either:
Vance and Hines 3" Slip Ons
TWIN SLASH 3″ SLIP-ONS | VANCE & HINES PRODUCTS

or
Vance and Hines Big Shots Staggered
BIG SHOTS STAGGERED CHROME | VANCE & HINES PRODUCTS

Wondering if the Big Shots are worth the extra money because from the outside looks of it, it looks like there are sharper angled turns in the pipes than the stock ones.

This is my 2nd bike but 1st Harley so I'm a real newbie. Gonna go slow with the add ons but I'm looking at a sissy bar and brake lighted backrest, a windshield and Freeway bars like this http://www.jpcycles.com/product/701-344

Attachments

·
Registered
751 Posts
I have the 3" slash cuts on my 2013 SuperGlide, and I like the way they sound. The big shots are loud.

·
Registered
161 Posts
May I offer some advice here (and a pipe recommendation.) Don't let your concern for the peaceful existence of your neighbors override your pipe choice. I say this because I have personally experienced one situation where some knucklehead in a car started creeping over into my lane. Traffic was heavy and I had no where to go but to drift away from him, pull in my clutch, and give the old girl a couple of healthy twists on the throttle, and the knucklehead driving the errant car wakes up and corrects his 4000lb. bomb back into his lane of traffic. I suppose I could have used my horn but my bike is louder.

As to my neighbors, whom I respect, I idle in and out of my neighborhood. I've even had one neighbor thank me for doing so.

BTW - My bike has a Thunder Header on it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
May I offer some advice here (and a pipe recommendation.) Don't let your concern for the peaceful existence of your neighbors override your pipe choice.

As to my neighbors, whom I respect, I idle in and out of my neighborhood. I've even had one neighbor thank me for doing so.
You are right. . . I could ride easy in and out of the neighborhood. A bit tricky because we live in a valley (so the thunder would really roll around and give everyone a hug LOL) and we live in a community association (which I really hate. . . I don't even attend the neighborhood board meetings anymore)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I should've re-phrased my question: I'm wondering if the slip on mufflers offer any performance gains and extra MPG? I've seen customer reviews of the V&H Big Shots full exhaust saying they got performance and MPG gains but have not seen anyone who did just the mufflers post any gains.
Look at the first product review here:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/6979/i/vance---hines-big-shots-staggered-exhaust

Again, a newbie here and relating this to putting JBA headers and a Magnaflow catback exhaust on my Mercury Mountaineer SUV - the goal was to get a more free flowing exhaust. I don't know what is inside the V&H Big Shots, but just by looking at the product pics, there are sharper angles and turns in those pipes when compared to the stock pipes that came on my FXDC. Using that logic, I am wondering if it is better to get just the mufflers over full exhaust Big Shots. Thanks in advance for your feedback, insight and advice. Much appreciated

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just chatted online with one of Vance & Hines experts and he said that the Big Shots "have a lower tone and will add 4-6 more horsepower than the Slip Ons because of the power chamber"

He also said the thing in between the two pipes that looks like a bracket is the power chamber

The V&H expert also said adding an air intake adds another 1-2 HP over stock

·
Registered
347 Posts
If you want to try something cheap and dirty before going to the pricier options maybe you should consider lollipop baffles. I gather some guys make their own but an outfit called DK Custom sells em as Thunder Torque Inserts.

Thunder Torque Inserts

I'm going to try out a couple of sets in my 3 1/4" slipons come spring. For 23 bux a pair how wrong can you go ? :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the heads up HKMark23!

Wasn't so much an issue with price, but I wanted to make sure that spending an extra $300 for the Big Shots would be worth it

·
Registered
347 Posts
Thanks for the heads up HKMark23!

Wasn't so much an issue with price, but I wanted to make sure that spending an extra $300 for the Big Shots would be worth it
Apologies. I didn't mean to presume there was a cost issue. I'm trying 2 different sizes of lollipops in my aftermarket set of slipons. They can be used with or without existing baffles and they come in shapes designed to make your bike louder or quieter if you prefer. They appear to allow for some interesting experimentation and are dirt cheap. I'm looking for more sound volume from the SE slipons I have and increased flow-through to accommodate the long duration SE 204 cams I'm also having installed. I'm excited by the prospect that lollipops will let me try several things and if nothing works out, the exercise will have cost me 50 bux and 20 min.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cost is always in issue but as long as the money is well spent LOL

Please let me know how it goes with your lollipop modications to the Screamin' Eagle setup

·
Registered
347 Posts
Cost is always in issue but as long as the money is well spent LOL

Please let me know how it goes with your lollipop modications to the Screamin' Eagle setup
Can do but it will be awhile. Its -7 degrees here at the moment and this is a warm day :D. "April" !

·
Registered
294 Posts
You might like the V&H two into one. It is louder than stock and a deeper sound as well. I think you can make it obnoxiously louder if you want.

The collector helps improve horsepower.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Stay warm HKMark23 - I went to college in Boston for 4 years so I know what that kind of winter feels like

Is that your bike Flintlock? I guess I never considered a 2 into one exhaust. The local H-D Dealership Cycle City tried to sell me hard on a low rider with a stock 2 into 1 exhaust but I had my heart set on the Super Glide Custom before they discontinued the model in the 2015 lineup

·
Registered
294 Posts
Yes Sir, Mr. Anaconda

It seems to help performance but I don't really know since the only time it was dynoed included the PC5 and a cam.

The background shows the best MC accessory, getting out of the frozen North fer a bit.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes Sir, Mr. Anaconda

It seems to help performance but I don't really know since the only time it was dynoed included the PC5 and a cam.

The background shows the best MC accessory, getting out of the frozen North fer a bit.
I really like the look of your bike with the windshield, saddle bags and sissy bar :biker:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Don't base your decision on any "gains" of power or efficiency as you'll never notice them anyway. Go based on the sound and appearance you want. My 05 FXD currently has Supertrapp Mean Mothers drag pipes and they are a little loud on long trips but they sure sound good.

Lucky for me I live close to the exit of our development and I idle out anyway so no trouble with the neighbors. There's an ass-bag down the street with a foreign V twin with loud pipes and some 6x9's drywall screwed into the top of some hard bags that are probably drywall screwed to the frame. He always rides though the hood with the pipes screaming and the 6x9's pumping out ghetto tunes louder than the pipes. Sorry to get off task but that dude bothers me, gives bikers a bad name amongst the suburban crowd.

So, sound and looks are the priority. My father in law put the Mean Mothers on the FXD when he had it because he won them for free. If I were picking something out myself I'd go for something a bit quieter, somewhere between stock and drag pipes. On a long ride they are noisy. Good thing is all the cagers know exactly where I'm at, at all times.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Don't base your decision on any "gains" of power or efficiency as you'll never notice them anyway. Go based on the sound and appearance you want. My 05 FXD currently has Supertrapp Mean Mothers drag pipes and they are a little loud on long trips but they sure sound good.

Lucky for me I live close to the exit of our development and I idle out anyway so no trouble with the neighbors. There's an ass-bag down the street with a foreign V twin with loud pipes and some 6x9's drywall screwed into the top of some hard bags that are probably drywall screwed to the frame. He always rides though the hood with the pipes screaming and the 6x9's pumping out ghetto tunes louder than the pipes. Sorry to get off task but that dude bothers me, gives bikers a bad name amongst the suburban crowd.

So, sound and looks are the priority. My father in law put the Mean Mothers on the FXD when he had it because he won them for free. If I were picking something out myself I'd go for something a bit quieter, somewhere between stock and drag pipes. On a long ride they are noisy. Good thing is all the cagers know exactly where I'm at, at all times.

what he said- my akropovics have a noise reduction insert that works great- bike is quiet around the neighborhood- but howls when you hork on it

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I like the look of 2 into 2 pipes

As for sound, I'm leaning towards the bassier sound of the
Vance & Hines Big Shots Staggered

There are speed bumps in my neighborhood so I have to idle out anyway.

Really looking for the increase in loudness and bass fundamental energy to make me more "audibly visible" on the road

Thanks everyone for the great insight. Much appreciated!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts