Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to order a replacement clutch for my o6 roadster next week. I will order a Barnett extra plate but after doing a search I can't find anywhere those who installed a new one and has a preference of Carbon fiber or Kelvar clutch material. I don't ride it hard but I want a clutch that hooks up in a narrow range and will last a long time. The sporty has a little over 25K miles on it.

I started noticing lately that I can't adjust it properly, it has creep in first with the clutch in, from what I have seen on here that indicates the spring plate is about to come apart. I will be able to ride my Honda while my sporty is down so all is not lost.

Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Just Ride
3,888 Posts
Sell the sporty and just ride your Honda. :D Kevlar is your best bet.

·
Dr. Pending Projects
1,785 Posts
My 07 nightster didnt need a clutch untill 85,000 miles
I want to change mine but only for peace of mind... having read several threads on the stock unit rivets failing and causing damage that can be prevented by just replacing that plate...

·
Retired citizen
24,526 Posts
Check the clutch hub where the outer teeth on the friction discs ride, if it's notched up from extended contact with the discs it should be replaced.
Put one of the frictions into the hub and slide it in an out, if it hooks up or binds the hub is shot.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am not impressed with the sportster engineering, having brass rivets in a clutch is one of the dumber things I have seen. The stock shocks are trash, I put air shocks off a something glide and at least it rides and handles much better.

I was in the local Harley dealer last week buying parts, I told the parts guy I have bought more Harley parts in the last couple of years than I have bought for all my other bikes in the last 50+ years, over 30 bikes.

I am having a local indy put my new (Barnett extra plate) clutch in this week. I fell in the yard few weeks ago and dislocated my shoulder, I am not quite up to wrenching for a few more weeks.

Rant over.

·
Banned
85 Posts
I am not impressed with the sportster engineering, having brass rivets in a clutch is one of the dumber things I have seen. The stock shocks are trash, I put air shocks off a something glide and at least it rides and handles much better.

I was in the local Harley dealer last week buying parts, I told the parts guy I have bought more Harley parts in the last couple of years than I have bought for all my other bikes in the last 50+ years, over 30 bikes.

I am having a local indy put my new (Barnett extra plate) clutch in this week. I fell in the yard few weeks ago and dislocated my shoulder, I am not quite up to wrenching for a few more weeks.

Rant over.
Well then I would say you dont really know a lot about the engineering of the best motor HD ever made...My clutch warned me at ( 85,000 ) miles it was going to fail by creeping forward at stops...having trouble finding neutral. A few bucks and two days of wrenching and I now have 118,000 miles.... ( to each his own, I guess )

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well then I would say you dont really know a lot about the engineering of the best motor HD ever made...My clutch warned me at ( 85,000 ) miles it was going to fail by creeping forward at stops...having trouble finding neutral. A few bucks and two days of wrenching and I now have 118,000 miles.... ( to each his own, I guess )
I don't have to be an engineer to know when I see a POS design. True that may be the best HD has to offer.

I got the Barnett extra plate clutch kit installed installed today, the spring plate was in the process of coming apart as has happened to so many others. It now runs and shifts like a proper motercycle, well, as well as you could expect a sporty to shift.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update, after riding about 500 miles with new clutch the sporty runs so much better it is like a different bike. I highly recommend the change to a Barnett extra plate clutch.

I also have been enjoying the better ride and handling of the tour glide 13 inch air shocks on the sporty, made a big difference, also highly recommended. I had performed the washer mod on the carb to improve the throttle response a couple of years ago. This mod improved the cold start and response of the carb, this mod lifts the needle about .020 and I am still getting 50 to 52 MPG.

Another change I made was going to a different tire size, I put a 140 90 16 rear tire on it. Much improved the handling and it has good load rating for the bike.

I am on my way to liking my sporty after all. I feel much more confident in it's reliability and comfort with the changes and improvements.

·
Dr. Pending Projects
1,785 Posts
I don't have to be an engineer to know when I see a POS design. True that may be the best HD has to offer.

I got the Barnett extra plate clutch kit installed installed today, the spring plate was in the process of coming apart as has happened to so many others. It now runs and shifts like a proper motercycle, well, as well as you could expect a sporty to shift.
Correct. Harley knows it... and they offer a Screaming Eagle alternative that could prevent this problem... Some folks just have great luck with their stock clutch discs and never suffer from this issue. That does not make it a good design... take a look:

This is a picture of the stock spring plate. The two plates are held together with the springs that are riveted with brass rivets which sheared off. The assembly is in between the regular clutch plates.

The preventive work is to replace that for either the Screaming Eagle Clutch kit, Barnett, or the Energy 1. I just do not get why Harley just can't do away with that setup and use what they have as an SE option... The good thing is that knowing this any owner can take preventive measures from this ever happening to them.

I still have it in my to-do list... need to stop procrastinating and get this done.... maybe next weekend... :)

·
Motor boating
5,255 Posts
If Harley done away with that setup,then they couldn't reel you into fix it yourself. ANY extra plate clutch disc is going to make it harder to find neutral(talk all the shit you want,it's basic physics) If it were me,and I'm no rookie on the subject considering I tune a Top Fuel Harley. I would buy a stock clutch fibers and steels, with some springs that take more pressure to pull in the clutch lever. they will engage/lockup quicker. If i remember, some Barnett red springs will suit you fine. I'll look in my parts department and see if I have some red springs. If I do have the reds, their yours for free. you just get the stock steels and fibers.

In 13 I tuned a vrod destroyer and stock steels and fibers were recommended. Lock up is all in the springs. By the way, I was using stock steels and fibers and won the 8.90 super comp championship,with a 2 year rookie.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
I'm kinda thinking I might blow them brass rivets before the splines on the final sprocket strip. ???

The counter weighted Barnet in my king pulls a little on a blip to let you know its there sitting in 1st.

Sportsters only got 14k on it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If Harley done away with that setup,then they couldn't reel you into fix it yourself. ANY extra plate clutch disc is going to make it harder to find neutral(talk all the shit you want,it's basic physics) If it were me,and I'm no rookie on the subject considering I tune a Top Fuel Harley. I would buy a stock clutch fibers and steels, with some springs that take more pressure to pull in the clutch lever. they will engage/lockup quicker. If i remember, some Barnett red springs will suit you fine. I'll look in my parts department and see if I have some red springs. If I do have the reds, their yours for free. you just get the stock steels and fibers.

In 13 I tuned a vrod destroyer and stock steels and fibers were recommended. Lock up is all in the springs. By the way, I was using stock steels and fibers and won the 8.90 super comp championship,with a 2 year rookie.
After reading your post several times I doubt you are familiar with the Sportster clutch. If you want to stay all Harley you can buy two steels and one fiber to replace the spring plate and have the same thing as the extra plate kit. Finding nuetral is much easier now that I have the new clutch in.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,950 Posts
Mine was lurching forward at only 30k miles and most of my rivets were gone. Your much better off replacing it before it breaks to stop particles from getting into the trans.

·
Dr. Pending Projects
1,785 Posts
Mine was lurching forward at only 30k miles and most of my rivets were gone. Your much better off replacing it before it breaks to stop particles from getting into the trans.
That is it... clutch order placed... should be here in a couple of days

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That is it... clutch order placed... should be here in a couple of days
Which clutch did you order? It is worth a lot for peace of mind, I didn't trust the original clutch after reading the accounts of clutch failure, good thing I did, mine was on the verge of major failure.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts