Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chasing a ThunderMax problem (lean) looking for leaks I found that the manifold is not perfectly straight with the manifold flanges, off maybe 1/16th ". wider on the horn side. motor runs good but Tmax folks said I was lean. Pulled the pipes 1st (no leak past the gaskets) and found the rear port was tan-ish to yellow inside not one bit of anything would rub off on a finger. On the front port it was darker and there was a very light soot but not all over the port, barely would wipe off. Both plugs looked perfect.
When I pulled the manifold and TB I like to have chit. The intake was completely wet with oil, the rear more than the front. It was in small puddles. Carbon buildup in both, rear more. That's what I found and I think I can address the oil issue, but I don't know about the manifold to head difference. The manifold gaskets seemed to have sealed on both sides but not sure. This is a 2005 RK, 95 build with 1k miles, ported heads, Andrews 37, SE cam plate, Heavy Breather, S&S True Duels and Power-Tour mufflers. 1st 100 miles ran HD 20-50 dino, with the heat down here I changed to 60w HD dino. I think I'm asking if the manifold (in the position its in) could be the source of the problem. Sure hate to have to reposition cyls. All replies welcome. Thanks, Ronny

·
Banned
71 Posts
Chasing a ThunderMax problem (lean) looking for leaks I found that the manifold is not perfectly straight with the manifold flanges, off maybe 1/16th ". wider on the horn side. motor runs good but Tmax folks said I was lean. Pulled the pipes 1st (no leak past the gaskets) and found the rear port was tan-ish to yellow inside not one bit of anything would rub off on a finger. On the front port it was darker and there was a very light soot but not all over the port, barely would wipe off. Both plugs looked perfect.
When I pulled the manifold and TB I like to have chit. The intake was completely wet with oil, the rear more than the front. It was in small puddles. Carbon buildup in both, rear more. That's what I found and I think I can address the oil issue, but I don't know about the manifold to head difference. The manifold gaskets seemed to have sealed on both sides but not sure. This is a 2005 RK, 95 build with 1k miles, ported heads, Andrews 37, SE cam plate, Heavy Breather, S&S True Duels and Power-Tour mufflers. 1st 100 miles ran HD 20-50 dino, with the heat down here I changed to 60w HD dino. I think I'm asking if the manifold (in the position its in) could be the source of the problem. Sure hate to have to reposition cyls. All replies welcome. Thanks, Ronny
Spray a little carb cleaner at the flanges when it's at idle, if idle picks up, you have a flange leak.

:coffee:

·
12roadking
118 Posts
you can also use propane for soldering.take the tip off the torch and put a rubber hose on where the tip screwed on and run the other end of the hose around the intake flanges and will also raise the idle if a leak is there.:thumbsup

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Problem resolved !
There were no air leaks, intake or exhaust. The problem was the TMax just can't work whenever the entire fuel system from the front of the TB to the intake valve is coated it oil. Changed the breather valves to the newer style and enlarged the oil drain holes under them. Also piped it to send the crank pressure from the heads to a catch can. TMax started giving good and consistent numbers, also azz gauge gave a thumbs up. Thanks for the replies. RP

1 - 4 of 4 Posts