Harley Davidson Forums banner

lOOKING TO SERVICE A 99 ROAD KING WITH 50,000 MILES ANY SUGGESTIONS?

5K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  XL1200R 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

I was given a 99 road king with 50000 miles on it last year. Bike runs strong & does not have any known issues. I am planning on a road trip this summer of about 1200 miles & want to make sure it is sound.

Any suggestions of what is a must during service?

Tires, Brakes, Plugs, Aircleaner, & oil change have all been done. I am looking major service suggestions.

#2 ·
Your best bet is to get a service manual. Follow the service recommendations.

#4 ·
I have a 2005 Road King and the main thing to look for is cam chain tensioners. On 1999 I don't know but if you use the search engine on this site you come up with everything you need to know...At least that's the way it's been for me..

#5 ·
Hey, Mack. Welcome from Kankakee Co.

Where you headed on this trip? Sounds like a great opportunity.

Where abouts in Illinois are you from?

When you get a chance, head over to "New to the Community" and post a bio. It's a nice gesture of respect to the guys.

There is a ton of knowledge on here. After you post a intro, the guys will start pouring on the good advice, I'm sure.

I'm not a wrench, so I'll just say hello and good luck.

#6 ·
That '99 probably had new tensioners, chains, cams etc. when the cam bearings went out. They all did on the '99 TC engines. The MoCo warranty repair kit had all new updated replacement parts in it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.