Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, glad to be a part of this community. However, I should start out by saying that I'm not a Harley owner yet. And I stress yet. I'm currently still riding my first bike that I purchased 3 years ago. It's a Yamaha V Star Custom 650. But I'm looking to upgrade to a Harley. I've got my search narrowed down to either a Super Glide or a Street Bob. So I'm here to basically get some advice on what to expect with a switch that big. And what are some experiences you all can share going from something smaller like a 650, to something bigger like a Dyna? Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
smart move -you will notice the harley vibrates more than your bike -got a street bob and love it

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
good way

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
I'd say the Dyna "shakes" at idle, but does not vibrate when underway. A Dyna is probably about as fast as your Yamaha.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Speed's not really an issue. Never really movin faster than 65. Lol. I hate being on the highway. Even in a car. So my current bike doesn't see to much speed, other than a 1.5 mile highway ride to work. I'm more of a "backroads" kinda guy. Anything I should be worried or mindful of though, going from a 650 to something closer to 1600?

·
Banned
71 Posts
Speed's not really an issue. Never really movin faster than 65. Lol. I hate being on the highway. Even in a car. So my current bike doesn't see to much speed, other than a 1.5 mile highway ride to work. I'm more of a "backroads" kinda guy. Anything I should be worried or mindful of though, going from a 650 to something closer to 1600?
You will need a face shield ............. to keep all the bugs out of your smiling teeth . :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good thing there's no bugs in my kitchen. Cuz that made me smile just reading it! Lmao

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Welcome from Virginia.

Test ride both models. One will probably "speak" to you better than the other, but only you can determine what is right for you.

A larger displacement motorcycle, particularly a Harley, is likely to be heavier than your Yamaha. It isn't so much that the engine is heavier, it is all of the parts on the bike. Harley uses metal for the majority of it's parts instead of plastic. However, less than a week after picking up you new Harley, you won't notice the weight difference anymore. A few slow speed parking lot drills and you will be a champ.

Congratulations on your new Harley-Davidson.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
as others have said do a test ride the Harley will be heavy but not really any faster but I think you will notice the torque if you by new makes sure to research all the options you might want or need as its a lil cheaper if you can work it all in one deal and WELCOME to the forum and the DARKSIDE

·
Lost in Space
6,859 Posts
I went from a 600 to a super glide a few years ago. You will notice the weight difference for the first couple of weeks. After that you will be fine. Super glide is a great ride. Just practice low speed maneuvers when you first get her. Enjoy the search and new ride.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The more I research though, the more nervous I'm getting in regards to the TC 96's. Is it a pain in the ass to convert to gear-driven cams? Seems like that's what I'd have to eventually do.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
The more I research though, the more nervous I'm getting in regards to the TC 96's. Is it a pain in the ass to convert to gear-driven cams? Seems like that's what I'd have to eventually do.
No need to convert to gear drive cams on the 96". Harley pretty much solved the tensioner problems, until way high mileage.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Welcome from Houston, TX. As others have said, test drive what you want. I did that and ended up with a Street Bob. Love it!

·
Registered
803 Posts
Had a Yamaha v-star 650 classic before I bought my softail Fatboy. The extra weight isn't that noticeable, Harleys have more of the weight at a lower center point then the Yamaha. The 650 was a sweet running bike but it would not even come close to keeping up to the harley, the 1100 or 1300 V-star would be a much better comparison then the 650.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
From what I read, anywhere between 40k-50k.
More like 80-90K with the hydraulic design in the 96" and later motors.

40-50K was the later 88" motors. The very first TCs failed as early as 10-15K.

·
Registered
526 Posts
How tall are you?

The reason I ask is that if 65 mph is about all you'll be doing and you have concerns about weight you might want to test ride a Sportster 72 and 48. They're both 1200's so plenty of power but smaller and lighter so I don't think you see any difference in handling versus the V-Star. I went from a Honda Shadow 750 to a Sportster 72 and actually think the Sportster 72 is the better/easier handling bike.

As others have suggested the best thing is to test ride all the bikes you're interested and see which one speaks to you.

Enjoy the hunt.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts