Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My handlebars "roll" when ya even barely lean on them. I know they are rubber mounted so will have a bit of movement but these are actually loose.
How do i get to the clamp bolts?
I assume I gotta remove the dash panel where the switches and ignition are and I see (2) screws on either side of this cover but will that pull away enough to get to the bolts to tighten up the handlebars? Or is it gonna be more involved than that? Like having to get into the actual fairing.

any help is surely appreciated. It drives me nuts having them move like they do.

·
Official Ass Tweaker
1,804 Posts
My handlebars "roll" when ya even barely lean on them. I know they are rubber mounted so will have a bit of movement but these are actually loose.
How do i get to the clamp bolts?
I assume I gotta remove the dash panel where the switches and ignition are and I see (2) screws on either side of this cover but will that pull away enough to get to the bolts to tighten up the handlebars? Or is it gonna be more involved than that? Like having to get into the actual fairing.

any help is surely appreciated. It drives me nuts having them move like they do.
I have no idea about your specific bike, but you absolutely must not ride it again until you get this fixed.

Remove anything you have to. Just start with what you can see, and then take off everything you need to until you get to the two clamps that hold the bars on and tighten them up.

Pull the bolts right out one at a time and put some Locktite on each one.

Please do this before you ride the sucker again.

You don't mind if I go get seriously drunk now, do you ? I just can't live with the idea of you riding without bars connected to anything :drunk

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IT'S getting to the riser/dog-bone (top bolts) that is my main question...How to I access them?
Well I am outta werk here and heading home so I hope removing those little screws do remove the switch cover & get me enough access to tighten up the top clamps.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I don't know if you are the same as a RKC but for that You gotta
take off the headlight trim ring
remove the 7 headlight retaining screws
pull out the headlight
remove the center trim piece over the headlight housing by removing the speed screw on front and loosening the screw in back.
remove the fork lock trim piece by just prying off to get access to 2 phillips screws.
This will give you access to the bolts holding the handlebars.

Good luck.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I WAS able to get the bars tightened up last nite.
Removed the screws holding the switch plate. cut the bottom of the bezel around the ignition and this allowed it to flex enough so that while pulling the switch cover plate down and i could access the rear-most handlebar clamp bolts.
The split i put in the ignition bezel will be covered by the ignition switch itself so no biggie there. Otherwise I suspect I woulda had to get into removing the whole darn fairing!! which even then wouldn't have really helped cuz the radio covered the forward clamp bolts.
But its secure now so all is well. If I knew how the ignition switch is removed I could saved "cracking" my ignition bezel but as it is no-one will be the wiser it is split uneer the ignition switch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts