Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every few months my battery cables loosen up and leave me stranded. I have cleaned them up and tightened them as tight as I feel comfortable tightening them up. I was thinking about locktite and also wondered if maybe there was some sort of mechanics tricks I have heard of.

You gys know any way to fix this once and for all?

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Do not use loctite. You can use a lock washer or flat washer.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
Well, this is a first for me. But I'd try different bolts, star lock washers and make sure everything is good a snug. If the stud on the transmission is the culprit I'd use a new locking style nut there, and of course follow the factory battery install instructions to the letter.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Every few months my battery cables loosen up and leave me stranded. I have cleaned them up and tightened them as tight as I feel comfortable tightening them up. I was thinking about locktite and also wondered if maybe there was some sort of mechanics tricks I have heard of.

You gys know any way to fix this once and for all?
I've used a star washer with one drop of 242 Loctite for years now, always has worked for me . :)

·
Registered
39,539 Posts
2nd the Star Washer, or split lock washer.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why do people here dislike locktite? I had a triumph 650 years ago. It would vibrate bolts off all the time. I finally started using locktite on everything.This Sportster vibrates a lot too. I have been trying to pay attention to torque specs. So far the only problem has been these battery cables.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I never tried locktight on battery terminals but my concern would be conductivity. You are making a high current electrical connection and the threads are part of that connection. I would assume locktite is an insulator (although never tested it) and it spreads all over the threads and may even get onto other surfaces preventing the current from flowing through wherever the locktight spreads to. Now you have isolated the current to whatever areas didn't get contaminated and that can cause overheating of those areas.

I think I'd stay away from it. There's always nylock nuts, star washers, standard lock washers, etc. Surely one of those things will be enough.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Why do people here dislike locktite? I had a triumph 650 years ago. It would vibrate bolts off all the time. I finally started using locktite on everything.This Sportster vibrates a lot too. I have been trying to pay attention to torque specs. So far the only problem has been these battery cables.
Because some folks use it to excess, coating the threads to the point that electrical contact is interfered with. A dab will do just fine.

·
Super Moderator
4,353 Posts
I had a battery arc before on one of those large gauge wire lugs and it slightly warped the lug. Once it is no longer entirely flat it is almost impossible to get a solid lasting connection. When it arced it just caused a raised section like a bump on the lug. When I see that now I just replace either the lug or the cable assembly if it is short. Sometimes you can file it flat again if that is the case.

·
Registered
3 Posts
ive had the issue where the bolt becomes loose and it melts the lead basically spot-welding the bolt in place. i dont use loctite as i fear that it could seize the bolt, even just a drop and it strips off into the battery, which has happened to me when i fixed said problem. lock washers dont do a damn thing to help, dont know about star washers.

what i found has worked for the past year and keeps everything connected and no arcing or grounding- duct tape. i connect my terminals to my battery, then with one continuous strip i tightly wrap the terminals and connections together. keeps the battery snug, nothing comes loose, and everything comes out nice when i need it to for maintenance. its not pretty, but thats what the battery cover is for.

adapt and overcome-aye sir.

·
Registered
569 Posts
ive had the issue where the bolt becomes loose and it melts the lead basically spot-welding the bolt in place. i dont use loctite as i fear that it could seize the bolt, even just a drop and it strips off into the battery, which has happened to me when i fixed said problem. lock washers dont do a damn thing to help, dont know about star washers.

what i found has worked for the past year and keeps everything connected and no arcing or grounding- duct tape. i connect my terminals to my battery, then with one continuous strip i tightly wrap the terminals and connections together. keeps the battery snug, nothing comes loose, and everything comes out nice when i need it to for maintenance. its not pretty, but thats what the battery cover is for.

adapt and overcome-aye sir.
That sounds like a great idea to me where it is physically possible to do it. Pretty hard for a nut or bolt head to turn with it's wrapped up tight with duct tape!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts