Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I just purchased a used 2015 street 500 and after taking the bike home I noticed the seat was loose so I decided to take it off and have a look. I found out that the square shaped hole under the seat that connects to the metal tongue is completely broken off on the bottom edge where the tongue normally hooks onto.

I didn’t notice this while riding, but now that I’ve seen it I can pull the seat up completely from the front with the strap and screw being the only thing holding it down. I’m a new rider and wanted to ask if this can pose a safety risk or if it’s not a big deal.

Thanks.

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,750 Posts
I’m a new rider and wanted to ask if this can pose a safety risk or if it’s not a big deal.

Thanks.
As a new rider, I would say don’t ride it. It will be a distraction to you, whether it is mental, or a physical one. There is too much out there to be aware of, and too much distracting you already. Fix it, and be safe.

Good catch!

·
Asylum Inmate
11,568 Posts
Never observed this failure .... But you need to get it to a decent weld shop before riding it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Road Junkie
1,881 Posts
To answer your question directly, a loose seat is a major safety issue. Do not ride until you have it repaired or replaced.

·
Retired citizen
22,912 Posts
If you bought it from a dealer, take it back and have them fix it. If not, find someone who can fix it.
This ^^^ is what I would do. Used bikes purchased from dealers are under limited warranty, usually 30 - 90 days.
If the bike was bought from a private seller 'as is' then no recourse on it.
Either way I would have it replaced unless the OP isn't planning to keep the bike long. If the OP resells it the OP should disclose the defect IMO.

·
Registered
804 Posts
A loose seat is definitely a safety issue and my guess is that the dealership would want to fix the seat ASAP to avoid any type of lawsuit due to them selling an unsafe bike.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts