Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have the low profile touring shocks on my 2002 Road King and noticed the air pressure is not maintained for other than a short time.
Question is how can I determine where the leak is? There is no evidence of oil leaks just the air pressure is not maintained.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,967 Posts
I've had the same problem since day 1 with my '11 Ultra. Had it checked with no trouble found. Finally said eff it and ride 0 pressure.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Air them up to the max them use very soapy water all over the connectors and even where you add the air.

·
Registered
11,805 Posts
I've had the same problem since day 1 with my '11 Ultra. Had it checked with no trouble found. Finally said eff it and ride 0 pressure.
I was also riding with no or almost no pressure. Put on the HD adjustables. 4 bolts, even I could change them. Much better ride. And you can buy them online discounted and no tax and free shipping from Kutter and other HD dealers. Should have done it sooner.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,967 Posts
Air them up to the max them use very soapy water all over the connectors and even where you add the air.
That was done on mine several times and not a bubble formed. The next day, zero PSI in the shocks.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
That was done on mine several times and not a bubble formed. The next day, zero PSI in the shocks.
Some times there are no bubbles as most guys expect to see. But a fuzz leak. Have to really look close at connections and seals. Can be very hard to spot. Looks like tiny fuzzy bubbles in soda, best I can describe it.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,967 Posts
Kd, only explanation is that someone is getting in your garage at night and stealing your air.
Joe, I've only had a problem with them trying to get after my beer stash!!!

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
It could be one or both of the shocks themselves. I never saw any bubbles. I changed the fill valve and the hoses, along with the fittings at the shocks. Still leaked down. I tested for leaks at the shocks by removing them and turning them over to check inside the rubber bellows at the shock piston/shaft seals. No bubbles evident. Curious thing was that after I inverted the shocks for testing with air pressure in them, they would hold pressure for several days. I finally gave in and bought a set of used OE shocks with the valve and tubing attached from a forum member. They came off of a 2013 Limited. These shocks have never leaked. Not once. Not any. I've had them on my bike for 2 years now. No leaks.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Replace the shrader valves. That is the valve where you add air. The rubber seals on those valves wear out. For bikes that have internal pumps to air them up then the seal on the pump is probably leaking. Either way the inside pressure should hold the valve closed.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
Replace the shrader valves. That is the valve where you add air. The rubber seals on those valves wear out. For bikes that have internal pumps to air them up then the seal on the pump is probably leaking. Either way the inside pressure should hold the valve closed.

Or just make sure it's tight.

Submerge the parts and/or shocks in water, if you can't find the leak anywhere on the lines or fittings, with the soapy water. That's how I finally found my leaks in my system.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys. Will try the soap trick noting the bubbles may be very small so I will look quite closely.

·
Banned
181 Posts
3 m 5200 around all air fittings , let it set up for a day or so.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have the same problem with my 2015 RK OEM shocks: air leaks. However, I think I discovered something curious.

They tend to retain their pressure for a long time after being pumped up. But if I reduce the pressure, I find zero psi the next morning. The remedy is simple: even if I want to reduce the pressure, I go down to zero psi first, and then pump-up. This works for me.

My interpretation is that something in the systems acts like a one-way valve. If there was an actual one-way valve, adjustments by reducing the pressure would not be possible at all. I would read zero psi the moment I reduce the pressure. This is not the case. However, something flexible (a membrane?) may be leaking slowly in this case. When I pump up, the same flexible component may be forced to remain in a favorable position so as to retain the pressure.

I don’t know what is going on in the air chambers or the feed lines but pumping up results in retained pressure.

·
Banned
181 Posts
I would guess your air valve is sticking.Take it out and clean it like you would a tire valve

·
Registered
366 Posts
If a air valve was sticking it wouldn't hold air at all, would leak out as fast as the air goes in, my guess would be one of the seals got split happened on my 10 RKC, take apart and look at close with a magnifying glass the slightest nick and you loose air, not much air in the system to begin with just under pressure. seals are cheap at the dealer.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I finally found out that air is leaking, even after pumping-up. I worked on the pneumatic system (air hoses and fittings) only, leaving the shocks alone for now. This is a leaking connection, under the air valve. The bubbles are not very clear in the pic but you can see them at the farthest connection; between the black body and the orange ring. Based on this pic, the Harley dealer promised me a new one, FOC, under warranty. Attached to the valve is the Harley Digital Suspension Air Pump #54000033.

I eliminated these fittings:

I replaced the OEM fittings on the shocks with these because they not only have one less connection to possibly leak, but also, unlike the OEM ones, they have O-rings where they contact the shock bodies:

I also replaced the OEM hoses with sturdier ones. I believe to have improved the air-tightness of the pneumatic system but it is not time tested so far. I will report once I have a clear idea on whether my setup helps or not. If it does; this is a matter of replacing the pneumatic components with better ones and it costs next to nothing for those who can wrench.

·
Indian Larry
9,201 Posts
Interesting.
I'd never read this thread because I thought it was about farting.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi Orhan,hving same trouble u had in 2015.hv a leak at fitting on suspension.how do u remove fittings.do u unscrew bras nut or does plastic fitting pull out.if u hv to remove nut do u loose any oil.where did you buy the oem fittings and hose and did they work.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts