Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have the 50th anniversary sportster. Mileage - 7k. I used to get 50ish mpg overall. Now I'm down to 32mpg over the last Fall.

The only thing different was last spring I over-filled my oil reservoir and rode for several months before noticing. I drained the oil and refilled properly.

Any suggestions on where to starting looking?

Don

·
Just Ride
3,255 Posts
Dirty air cleaner and right wrist.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For got to mention that I did replace the air filter, but I drive as I always have.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Check the condition of the plugs if black it may be too rich or the jets may be somewhat clogged in the Carb. Run some Seafoam through it. It will help clear away deposits and Carbon. You can also use some Barryman's Chem tool in the fuel. Not too much. WARNING: Do not soak brass fitting for too long It will destroy them.

Attachments

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,388 Posts
How was your mpg last year? When did it start to drop. I have noticed with the lowering fuel prices my mpg on everything has dropped alot. Truck went from 16-12, subaru went from 26-19 bike dunno havent rode it since oct enuff to meaaure. I figure it more ethonal then last summer so its using more fuel at a lower price...

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,388 Posts
Yeh thats about when i noticed it also i think its the ethonal. If you wanna test that try some fuel from a marina or maybe get some ethonal remover. And try that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maxz,

The 2007 sportster's have Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection, not carbs. Any other suggestion?

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts
Are your brakes dragging a bit? Does the bike roll like it use to, or does it feel like its dragging. Everybody has covered everything else.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
A few other things to check are 1 The Vacuum hose to the carb (Lose or Cracked). 2 Leaking float bowl 3 Leaking fuel line. 4 Needle seat not seating inside the carb. 5 A bad Plug. Many don't know a plug will fire up to a certain amount of pressure and then cut out due to PSI. Might want to change them as well. Being fuel injected as I thought it could be it may be an injector or electronic fuel injection control unit gone bad. I would think the injector may just be dirty try the Berrymans. Follow the direction on the can for mixing with Gasoline

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
My guess is you are riding it harder now than when it was new. If it starts easily, and runs well, with no smoke or other sign of being rich then you've most likely just pushing it harder than before.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
A set of plugs and a run with the additive may clear it up. Much cheaper than the shop. Worth a shot. Good luck with it. PS I almost bought the 50th anniversary edition in much better shape than mine for the same price 2300. It was too far for me to travel. One more thing comes to mind Check the Plug wires at both ends slim chance there loose or arching. Start it at night and trace them to see if you see any spark grounding anywhere

1 - 15 of 15 Posts