Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Electra Glide Ultra Classic with the 103 motor in it. I'm losing about a quart of oil every time I put gas in the bike so roughly 250 miles. It's not leaking out on the ground or anyting and it doesn't smoke. If you guys could give me and idea of what is going on it be much appreciated.

·
weird member
2,788 Posts
Well, it has to be going somewhere. If it's not leaking anywhere, and it's not in the air filter, then it has to be getting burned off. Have you noticed any blue-ish smoke from the exhaust?

Reactions: WiSeNhEiMeR

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
How full are you filling it? I found when changing mine if I put in about 3 1/3 quarts it would stay right there put in 4 quarts it would always burn some off.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
How long has this been going on? Just recently? No smoke and no drip?........ I'd check my tranny fluid level as well. Like sardonicus said, it has to be going somewhere.......

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,945 Posts
What color is your bike? Feel your right saddle bag to see if it has oil residue on it. I have a Pearl White 2013 FLHTCU w/ 103. Oil blows out my breather when I ride hard. I can see it on mI’ve, but a darker bike may be harder to notice.

Reactions: JTJ

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,945 Posts
Agreed, MJ, but I was kind of allowing for a little exaggeration in my reply. I’ve not lost a quart between oil changes, but if you looked at my right saddle bag, you would swear I should be about empty. However, that is only when I run hard, or cruise in the 80-ish or up range.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Agreed, MJ, but I was kind of allowing for a little exaggeration in my reply. I’ve not lost a quart between oil changes, but if you looked at my right saddle bag, you would swear I should be about empty. However, that is only when I run hard, or cruise in the 80-ish or up range.
Yeah, my 03 RK does that too. It sucks. But nothing like blowing you damn dipstick out because you weren't paying attention and over filled the crankcase............ twice! :rolleyes:

·
weird member
2,788 Posts
Yeah, even when I had clear leaks (though not enough to drip on the ground, but enough to make the whole area where it is look wet and messy), I never lost a quart of oil over 5,000, let alone a whole quart in 250 miles.

As far as "hard" or highway riding, never had it from hard/aggressive riding but I have noticed though that at highway speeds, I do get oil passing to my air filter, but only if I use 6th gear (.86:1 ratio). However, I'm also on an Evo. If I use 5th gear at highway speed (.99:1) I don't get the oil in the air filter. Now generally, it can run 6th without lug at 75 mph, but it runs 6th gear better at 80+ mph (then again, I'm only outputting around 80-85 ft-lbs RWT @2,200-5200 rpm). I never use 6th gear less than 75 mph on flat or downhill, or 85 mph uphill (and if it's steep enough uphill, I use 5th no matter how fast I am going).

Reactions: 1/2 Ton

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I'm prolly going to jinx myself right here:

Neither the Sporty (1200 Evo) or the Ultra (103 TC) have lost a even a drop of oil between oil changes. The Ultra will have a slight oily trace in the air filter every other oil change or so. Barely even enough to bother cleaning the air filter for. I push that bike fairly hard, with two rules:
1. NEVER lug the motor! Like Kyle says, it's better to run on the high side of the RPM's.
2. Use the gears for engine braking very rarely. (I do engine brake when coming into a corner quite regularly.) I will "think through the gears" so-to-speak, when downshifting to a stop. Keeping the clutch pulled in the whole time. Just to be in the correct gear if the light changes or in the case of "GOTTA Move NOW".

I service both bikes to the center XXX marks between high and low on the dip sticks: Pour in one quart less than the manual calls for, then run the bike once just around the block (to get to normal temp) then, pull back in, to add oil just to the center of marks on the dipstick(s). Never to the top mark (like on a car).

In all honesty, I can't say what gear(s) the wife is in when she's riding. She knows not to lug the engine! I have watched her closely when slowing to a stop. She shifts down through the gears with the same practice that i use. I have yet to see her engine brake.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's definitely not leaking it because. And I checked to see how much oil is coming out of the breather houses and its got some but not enough to explain my problem. It doesn't smoke when it's sitting at idle or even if I twist the throttle at a stop. The only places I haven't checked is in the primary but that's because do the heads on the bolts stripped out on me when I was trying to check that. But I've probably put 3 quarts of oil on the bike so far.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Have you tried to not add oil every 250 miles to see if it will stop using any? Let say you try to go an extra 250 miles check if continues to drop or not! Just monitor very closely to not run dry. Those bike like to run 1/2 quart low (i run mine half way on the dip stick). Like others have said, a quart of oil every 250 miles you will definitely see smoke at tail pipe or the bike would mark it spot for sure!

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Have you tried to not add oil every 250 miles to see if it will stop using any? Let say you try to go an extra 250 miles check if continues to drop or not! Just monitor very closely to not run dry. Those bike like to run 1/2 quart low (i run mine half way on the dip stick). Like others have said, a quart of oil every 250 miles you will definitely see smoke at tail pipe or the bike would mark it spot for sure!

It just keeps going. I thought it would be fine the first time but it got pretty low

·
Registered
40 Posts
Also like you mentioned crack the chain case cover, a t27 bit is needed to remove the bolts, but you mentioned they are stripped so you can try to remove them(drill the heads) or drain the chain case into a container to mesure the oil and remove the larger cover and get someone to remove the bolts for you!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2013 Electra Glide Ultra Classic with the 103 motor in it. I'm losing about a quart of oil every time I put gas in the bike so roughly 250 miles. It's not leaking out on the ground or anyting and it doesn't smoke. If you guys could give me and idea of what is going on it be much appreciated.
Have you checked your primary? If not drain your primary and see how much comes out. Should only be 1 qt. If more than that comes out you found the problem. Bad seal.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts