Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving in this morning, my headlight low beam burned out. Fortunately, it happened right at dawn. So I didn't piss off too many other motorists.

Problem is, I'm 40 miles away from any Harley dealer. Lots of auto part stores, what can I get to get me home?

Thanks Guys.

·
Super Moderator
4,345 Posts
Depends on the bike. The newer ones use the same headlight as most cars if it is just the bulb. You can pick one up at any auto part store. The xenons work pretty well but be careful because the burn hotter. I used one in my breakout and it melted the connector, not to the point of destroying it but enough to warp it over a year to make it difficult to get the bulb out. You should be able to pull the bad one and see a part number. Most auto part stores will lend you a screw driver to swap it in the parking lot.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Driving in this morning, my headlight low beam burned out. Fortunately, it happened right at dawn. So I didn't piss off too many other motorists.

Problem is, I'm 40 miles away from any Harley dealer. Lots of auto part stores, what can I get to get me home?

Thanks Guys.
Auto Zone part number 9003, $10.99 +Tax .

Most any auto parts store will have a three prong , duel filament bulb that will work. OEM is a 50/55 bulb. H-4 socket .

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welp, changing the headlight didn't do any good. Not surprising since the one I took out looked fine.

Found the fuse block under the battery cover, 6 - 15 amp mini fuses and a relay. All the mini fuses looked fine.

Am I looking in the right spot? does the high/low beam have a separate fuse?

I'm thinking that it may be my switch on the hand control....

I do own a manual, it's about an hour away...

Anyone got any tips?

Thanks.

·
Registered
39,459 Posts
I'm thinking that it may be my switch on the hand control....
Tend to agree.

Fuse is for headlight, no separate fuse for high beam/low beam.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I guess the silver lining is: I have to go home earlier...

Thanks again guys.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Well, I guess the silver lining is: I have to go home earlier...

Thanks again guys.
What model is it ??? FLHTCUI's have a headlight relay that at times will go out. When it does, low beam will quit and high beam will still work .

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What model is it ??? FLHTCUI's have a headlight relay that at times will go out. When it does, low beam will quit and high beam will still work .

It's a 2006 XL 1200L. How would I check the relay?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
513 Posts
I've seen a lot of auto stores with lamps that would work but generally they are a lower rating. Could be I just hit them wrong too.

Something is better than nothing IMHO.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts
Little late to this thread, but did ya check the plug itself, to the lamp?. Mine melted and as a result I lost my low beam.

·
Registered
168 Posts
If the connector gets hot it can warp and keep the pole from getting good contact. bad news is that will cause it to get really hot and melt into a hot mess.

·
Retired citizen
23,358 Posts
Did you look at the headlight connector, the Sportys had issues with the connector melting.
I see that this has been mentioned already !

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
check the connector under the tank. My high beam would go out every few months and sure enough I finally tracked it down to that connector. I cleaned the terminals and bent on slightly so it contacted better and problem solved. I also put dielectric grease on to prevent it from happening again

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
checked the connector at the light when I changed out the bulb, it looked fine.

I'm going to pull the switch out on Saturday. I'll check ohms across the wires and see if the switch fired.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Check the connector, under the tank, before taking the switch apart. It's a lot easier to do than the switch.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts