Discussion Starter #1
Really needing help.
2012 FXDWG
SE 204 cams
SERT w/ tune from HD dealership
Adjustable pushrods
VH 2-2 big radius exhaust
SE Air cleaner w/ K&N filter element

To start, A few months ago I swapped exhaust gaskets because I had a small exhaust leak and could hear the infamous "ticking" sound associated with one. Before swapping I also plugged the ends of each pipe to make sure, and I stood correct as I could definitely hear it coming from the ports. I went with the Screaming Eagle non crush gaskets as well. Now to the problem, I figured the sluggishness I experienced was due to the exhaust leak and I am sure part of it was but I continued to experience the bike being very sluggish, and continued to get worse. I had the exhaust checked all over yesterday and they are fine, no issues. I have done my 15k service as well, could have been a clutch issue but after adjustment everything feels fine, shifts perfect. No codes spitting out, i did notice that the bike is running lean, my onky thought as of right now is that it could be the tune, I had experienced pre detonation after getting the cams installed. This was about 6 months ago when I got the work done, about 2 weeks after that is when I first heard the the pre detonating noise when getting on the throttle in 4th-6th when getting on the throttle. Will try any and all suggestions, thanks

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
692 Posts
You need to take it back to the dealer and have them check the tune they did. Did they dyno tune or just do a download. It needs to be on the dyno so they can check the air fuel ratio and maybe they got too much advanced timing in it. I don't think you would feel any loss of power from a small exhaust leak. I have had an exhaust leak for and did not notice a power loss just some popping when I let off on the throttle.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You need to take it back to the dealer and have them check the tune they did. Did they dyno tune or just do a download. It needs to be on the dyno so they can check the air fuel ratio and maybe they got too much advanced timing in it. I don't think you would feel any loss of power from a small exhaust leak. I have had an exhaust leak for and did not notice a power loss just some popping when I let off on the throttle.
Thanks for the response, it has a SE race tuner and was dynoed at time of cam install. I should have also added that I did take it back when I noticed that terrible metal scratch noise that I later found out was pre detonation a few weeks after getting the work done and they gave the bike back in a matter of 5min. Said they took some timing out and never stuck it back on the dyno.

·
Registered
769 Posts
if you have a compression gauge then id start with that....knock can cause alot of damage and poor running, check the color of your plugs too...white is lean and this can be bad if too lean, can burn a valve and/or potentialy burn a hole right into the piston, and then again it could be a bad lifter causeing the tick

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if you have a compression gauge then id start with that....knock can cause alot of damage and poor running, check the color of your plugs too...white is lean and this can be bad if too lean, can burn a valve and/or potentialy burn a hole right into the piston, and then again it could be a bad lifter causeing the tick
I recently swapped the plugs and they both looked about the same, whitish in color, I would say lean is definitely an issue. I will have them try and retune the bike at the dealership and see what that does but it seems like they tune all there bikes to run lean still. They act like thats not a problem at all, is this epa reasons why harley dealership would be like this or would it be a result of a bad tuner?

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
I recently swapped the plugs and they both looked about the same, whitish in color, I would say lean is definitely an issue. I will have them try and retune the bike at the dealership and see what that does but it seems like they tune all there bikes to run lean still. They act like thats not a problem at all, is this epa reasons why harley dealership would be like this or would it be a result of a bad tuner?

EPA.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,388 Posts
Sounds like to me at least dealership doesnt know how to tune it on the dyno and is just throwing a canned map from moco in the tuner to match your mods. Id take it to an indie and see if they know how to tune it and if needed, Id invest in the usb cable and software, if you havent yet.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 8 of 8 Posts