Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I went to take a quick ride this evening after work, I hopped on my 2014 1200 custom sportster and start her up, put her into first gear and proceed to let out slowly on the clutch as I'm turning the wheel to the left and moving slowly to pull out onto the road. As i'm doing this I hear this horrid sound coming from the bottom of my bike toward the front end. The only way to describe this sound is to me it sounds like a rock got wedged between the front fender and the frame and shot out... Its a very strange loud clanky rubbing sound, real quick too. The reason im concerned is this is the second time this has happened. Transmission maybe??? I bought it new in Dec. of last year and it has a little over 3100 miles. Any thoughts on this. Thanks.

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,145 Posts
Hey all, I went to take a quick ride this evening after work, I hopped on my 2014 1200 custom sportster and start her up, put her into first gear and proceed to let out slowly on the clutch as I'm turning the wheel to the left and moving slowly to pull out onto the road. As i'm doing this I hear this horrid sound coming from the bottom of my bike toward the front end. The only way to describe this sound is to me it sounds like a rock got wedged between the front fender and the frame and shot out... Its a very strange loud clanky rubbing sound, real quick too. The reason im concerned is this is the second time this has happened. Transmission maybe??? I bought it new in Dec. of last year and it has a little over 3100 miles. Any thoughts on this. Thanks.

Warranty... Take it back to dealer

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,967 Posts
^^^^^^What he said!

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Dealer will probably tell him they couldn't reproduce the noise & that bike is fine with no problems . He will need a reliable witness ! Hope they can find the cause & fix your bike .
Good Luck .

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Could be the transmission, or maybe a loose front drive cog.

Make it to the dealer so even if they can't reproduce it, they have a record of the problem.

Also, make really sure you have the transmission all the way into first gear.....just saying

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys.. I figure when I take it to the shop, they'll probably say it's nothing, but I am going to take it in just so it's on record.. I drove it to work today 20 mile round trip and nothing... Last time it made the noise was probably 150 or more miles ago... I was wondering that myself bobf about being all the way into first... This sound came when the clutch was not fully engaged... Im def planning on taking it to the shop, just thought maybe someone else has had this problem before that's all. Thanks again..

·
Registered
490 Posts
My sporty makes a very similar clacking noise when cold (but it can do it when warm).

It's caused by riding the clutch by letting the clutch out slowly when your basically at idle. so that it gets to the point where it's not fully engaged But it does drag on the gears, causing them to clank in rhythm with the engine revs.

I think it's normal give how the sporty tranny works. Plus it can be created at will.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts