Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to help a friend of mine take his MC riding test today, hes been riding a while but finally had to get a license. (insurance co just found out)

He has an 09 Iron 883 with vance and hines pipes. they do a visual inspection of the bike then ask you to start it, the lady had a weird look on her face and asked this guy to come out and look at it. He said the pipes were too loud, not legal, and he wouldnt let him take the riding test.

I didnt know texas had any restrictions on MC exhaust, just a heads up.
:mad:

·
I'm your huckleberry
3,010 Posts
That's a bummer but any DMV will check all required points before doing a driving/riding test on any vehicle bike or car including insurance, tag, lights, horn and yes even exhaust..... IF it catches their attention they can decline. Looks like he needs some quiet baffles or to borrow a bike for his test. But we all know loud pipes can/will get us a ticket under the correct circumstanses right? Bummer they called him on it but suprised..... Not really.

·
I'm your huckleberry
3,010 Posts
dig a little deeper next time

TRC §547.604.

MUFFLER REQUIRED.

(a) A motor vehicle shall be equipped with a muffler in good working condition that continually operates to prevent excessive or unusual noise.

(b) A person may not use a muffler cutout, bypass, or similar device on a motor vehicle.

Texas Motorcycle Laws

Of course by reading further myself I found out Texas is a helmet state and did not know that.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,312 Posts
People amaze me...... Loud pipes are almost illegal everwhere. Live it. Learn it and adjust accordingly, and stop blaming other people for not knowing your OWN State laws........

Come on people......knowledge is power and the internet almost tells you everything you need to know, if you ask the right questions.

Stop blaming the DMV for your own ignorance.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,312 Posts
Well.......then there's that..........:D

·
irate pirate
768 Posts
I mentioned to the dealer (when I bought my sporty) about the loud pipes and asked if they were legal... he said "No!, but the cops won't bother you unless you're bein' a dick with 'em! The St. Pete police have Vance & Hines on their bikes!"
Sat beside many police at the redlights now, and I just let it bubble quietly, always got the thumbs-up (so far) from 'em. :nod

Some jurisdictions are more understanding, I guess. If pressed, I'll claim they're a safety feature.
Loud pipes save lives!

·
Banned
58 Posts
I'm still sticking to my guns. Until there is a law specifying the allowable decibel level then 'excessive' and 'unusual' is subjective and should not preclude the issuance of a state inspection sticker.

·
I'm your huckleberry
3,010 Posts
I'm still sticking to my guns. Until there is a law specifying the allowable decibel level then 'excessive' and 'unusual' is subjective and should not preclude the issuance of a state inspection sticker.
You can stick to your guns all ya want. Most of us have loud pipes but most of us would not be suprised if it was pointed out to us. But you are welcome to test your theory to any law enforcement/govement agent you care. Good luck with it. :thumb

·
irate pirate
768 Posts
Careful what you wish for, man!
We DID get noise regs covering loud car stereos down here a few years ago. They're pretty arbitrary... and it gives the fuzz probable cause from a chargeable offense where previously none existed. :eek7

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
14,015 Posts
Originally Posted by Checker
I just love hearing guys who think they're gonna play "gotcha!" with a cop or a boss.

They don't need any stinking db rating. They got the specific mandate to have "a muffler."

Most aftermarket pipes would, to any technical or legal inspection, to be completely free of any structure or component even laughably pretending to be doing any "muffling."

Remember the one hit wonder song,
"I fought the Law and The Law Won.."

Didja ever hear what happened to the singer?

He was found dead in his car, badly beaten, and fatally poisoned by having a gasoline can spout shoved down his throat and filling his stomach with gasoline.

·
Banned
58 Posts
I just love hearing guys who think they're gonna play "gotcha!" with a cop or a boss.

They don't need any stinking db rating. They got the specific mandate to have "a muffler."

Most aftermarket pipes would, to any technical or legal inspection, to be completely free of any structure or component even laughably pretending to be doing any "muffling."

Remember the one hit wonder song,
"I fought the Law and The Law Won.."

Didja ever hear what happened to the singer?

He was found dead in his car, badly beaten, and fatally poisoned by having a gasoline can spout shoved down his throat and filling his stomach with gasoline.
Maybe I should just not fight back and take it up the rear. Sounds like the going preference around here. I got loud pipes on my bike. It was inspected with loud pipes. I am friends with most of the cops in my town and they think my bike is pretty cool. But your right. If I get a ticket I will just pay and not even try to fight it. I guess that's how you boys do it in Big D.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,312 Posts
There is and obviously you're too stupid to know it.

Your state inspection sticker has nothing to do with it ..........How many cops you're buying donuts and coffee to suck up to has nothing to do with it.

Even if your state has no law regarding a muffler (which it does) you still fall under the Federal Law statute of a limitation of dB rating, which is basically, by Federal Law, motorcycles manufactured in or after 1979 cannot exceed a noise level of 84 decibels (dB) when traveling more than 35 mph on a paved street or highway.

Look it up, google it, or do whatever.

You can "rebel" all you want, buy while half you guys were coloring with crayons, your state reps were lobbying for laws against noise from motorcycles, hotrods or anything else that was of interest, and passed laws against them.

This is old news and unless you're gonna lobby against it, stop whining.

It's an age old fight..............

·
I'm your huckleberry
3,010 Posts
hahahahahahaha. we're takin it in the rear. hahahahahahaha

·
Curmudgeon
7,043 Posts

·
Banned
58 Posts
There is and obviously you're too stupid to know it.

Your state inspection sticker has nothing to do with it ..........How many cops you're buying donuts and coffee to suck up to has nothing to do with it.

Even if your state has no law regarding a muffler (which it does) you still fall under the Federal Law statute of a limitation of dB rating, which is basically, by Federal Law, motorcycles manufactured in or after 1979 cannot exceed a noise level of 84 decibels (dB) when traveling more than 35 mph on a paved street or highway.

Look it up, google it, or do whatever.

You can "rebel" all you want, buy while half you guys were coloring with crayons, your state reps were lobbying for laws against noise from motorcycles, hotrods or anything else that was of interest, and passed laws against them.

This is old news and unless you're gonna lobby against it, stop whining.

It's an age old fight..............
I'm stupid huh? Your post count would indicate you should be representative of what this forum is all about, and if it is about name calling then your a ****ing idiot and probably a ****** too. No need to ban me, too many shithead around here for me to return anyway. Kiss my has HD bullshit forum.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts