Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am basically a new rider. I road dirt bikes a bit as a kid, then nothing for over 20 years. My fiancé, David, proposed almost a year ago with a beautiful Dyna Wide Glide, I took Rider’s Edge and we were off! He rode an Electra Glide and we spent every opportunity riding together.

At the end of September last year, he had a horrible encounter with a curve and an embankment and spent 15 days in the hospital. Just hours before his release to be transferred to physical rehab, he got a blood clot and he was gone almost instantly. :(

Obviously my life changed forever, but my point for this intro is how I got to where I am now. Because my bike was in his name, after his death, it belonged to his minor children, which meant his ex-wife was in control. I let the bike go, keeping our memories in my head and knew I would get another bike.

This May, I bought a 2013 Road Glide Custom and have about 1,200 miles on him (my bike is a boy, just like my truck). I love to ride and wish I knew more riders in my area -- especially women. (I'm not native to Louisiana and most of my social time for the four years prior to the accident was spent with David.) Thankfully, I've at least been able to ride with a Rider's Edge classmate and her friends lately.

I enjoy forums in general, and am a member of a women's forum, but find that it gets next to zero activity. With David (a long-time Harley rider) not here to answer all my questions, do mechanical work, give his opinion about mods, etc., I will be relying on y'all here for all things Harley.

See y’all around the forum!

·
Super Moderator
4,059 Posts
A warm welcome from Virginia. There is many good routes down there for sure. I miss it. I was stationed in Belle Chase from 2000 - December 2005. These guys have been great so far. I referred to this forum for probably about a year before signing up, learned a bunch and enjoyed the conversations.

Sorry for the hard times, I can't imagine. Just glad to see you living life and riding forward!

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,048 Posts
Welcome from Baton Rouge! Your story is very sad. But your grit is inspiring! So sorry for your loss.

There is a group here called the 4th Sunday Riders that meets at Twin Peaks restaurant on Siegen Lane (one block from I-10 on the south side of Baton Rouge) at 8:30 (this Sunday!). The ride leaves at 9:00. The ride is open to all and there is a large variety of riders, male and female. This Sunday is the 9th anniversary of the ride and the turnout should be great. Good opportunity to meet and interact with folks that may be just what you're looking for. You would certainly be welcome, if you feel like making the run up here!

·
Village Idiot
2,300 Posts
Sorry for your loss, losing someone close is a terrible ordeal. Glad you are coming back like you are.

Welcome from Northeast GA. You'll find plenty of good folks on here.

While typing that last sentence, I actually made a typo and typed plenty of odd folks here and fixed it, but in retrospect, you'll find plenty of odd folks here, too. But a good kind of odd.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A warm welcome from Virginia. There is many good routes down there for sure. I miss it. I was stationed in Belle Chase from 2000 - December 2005. These guys have been great so far. I referred to this forum for probably about a year before signing up, learned a bunch and enjoyed the conversations.

Sorry for the hard times, I can't imagine. Just glad to see you living life and riding forward!
Thanks. Never thought I'd have to imagine. Riding is good therapy. :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome from Baton Rouge! Your story is very sad. But your grit is inspiring! So sorry for your loss.

There is a group here called the 4th Sunday Riders that meets at Twin Peaks restaurant on Siegen Lane (one block from I-10 on the south side of Baton Rouge) at 8:30 (this Sunday!). The ride leaves at 9:00. The ride is open to all and there is a large variety of riders, male and female. This Sunday is the 9th anniversary of the ride and the turnout should be great. Good opportunity to meet and interact with folks that may be just what you're looking for. You would certainly be welcome, if you feel like making the run up here!
Thank you, Silverback. It is still sad. I suppose it will be forever, unfortunately.

That is very kind of you to invite me to the ride in Baton Rouge! I appreciate it! If it is not storming, I will definitely consider it -- though I'd be nervous not knowing another soul there. :yikes

I got caught in last Sunday's storm on I-10 and it sucked even with a rain suit!

I'll PM you on Saturday evening if I decide to go.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry for your loss, losing someone close is a terrible ordeal. Glad you are coming back like you are.

Welcome from Northeast GA. You'll find plenty of good folks on here.

While typing that last sentence, I actually made a typo and typed plenty of odd folks here and fixed it, but in retrospect, you'll find plenty of odd folks here, too. But a good kind of odd.
<Smile> Thanks, Tom.

·
Earthbound misfit, I
2,448 Posts
Welcome from East Texas (Shreveport La. area).
Glad you made it to the forum.
Rough story, you sound like you are doing well though. Be proud of that.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,009 Posts
Sorry about your loss. Welcome aboard from the Mississippi Gulf Coast (by way of New Orleans).

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry about your loss. Welcome aboard from the Mississippi Gulf Coast (by way of New Orleans).
Uhm...thanks, kd5cqt..... :)

A little surprised to get this after our other conversation. Maybe my user name doesn't look familiar to you. Maybe that's a good thing. :)

Anyway, seriously, thank you for taking the time to read my intro and post. Maybe we'll run into each other one day -- and not talk politics. How bout that? :)

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,009 Posts
Uhm...thanks, kd5cqt..... :)

A little surprised to get this after our other conversation. Maybe my user name doesn't look familiar to you. Maybe that's a good thing. :)

Anyway, seriously, thank you for taking the time to read my intro and post. Maybe we'll run into each other one day -- and not talk politics. How bout that? :)
That would be my pleasure....and BTW, sorry you took offense at those "other posts". I enjoy a good debate. Should the user name be familiar? Trying to remember any Acuff's I had known over there.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No worries. I didn't take offense.

I was just wondering if if you realized that the person in this thread is the same person in the ACA thread.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,009 Posts
Yes, I knew that much. Not often we have 2 people using the same screen name from the same city sign on, and I'm reasonably observant.
BTW, what part of Metarie are you in? I came over here from old Algiers on the Westbank.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, I knew that much. Not often we have 2 people using the same screen name from the same city sign on, and I'm reasonably observant.
BTW, what part of Metarie are you in? I came over here from old Algiers on the Westbank.
My boss lives over in Algiers. I live close to I-10 and Causeway.

Coincidentally, I started my residency (moved from Seattle) in the South in 08 in Gautier.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts