Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After riding Gold Wings for over 27+ years. I always had a CB and my friends and I would share all kinds of information while riding our favorite roads or trips we would take. Then I gave up the Gold Wing after it was totaled and bought a Sportster 1200C and put a J&M handlebar mounted CB and continued to converse with my friends. Now, I have the Dyna Low Rider and decided to transfer the CB to this new bike. Does anyone ride and use a CB to share their thoughts etc. with riding buddies?

·
Banned
2,466 Posts
I'm being totally serious when I say I just use hand signals. I get my point across. I would never be able to hear a CB.

Reactions: Diz Jr.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
I use hand signals to get important points across. Other than that, riding is ME time. Not knocking inter bike communication for others, I just don't want it.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Added one to my '14 Ultra to communicate with my buddy while on road trips. Our wives use it more than we do.:goob

Still I think it's nice to have when you have something a hand signal won't clearly convey.

My last road trip for example, we were in such bad weather (rain and hail) I really couldn't see my friends hands or his bike for that matter and when he yelled "TORNADO" on the CB, all thoughts of pulling over vanished!

·
Vile Deplorable
1,441 Posts
Depends on who I ride with whether I have the CB on. One friend has one but refuses to use it. Another that has one can't shut up. The HOG chapter likes us to use them, but all hazards and directions are done using hand signals. Even with the CB on, the talk is minimal.

My biggest vocal intrusion is the wired intercom between the wife and I. I'm not caring for that feature lately.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Depends on who I ride with whether I have the CB on. One friend has one but refuses to use it. Another that has one can't shut up. The HOG chapter likes us to use them, but all hazards and directions are done using hand signals. Even with the CB on, the talk is minimal.

My biggest vocal intrusion is the wired intercom between the wife and I. I'm not caring for that feature lately.
OH!!! thats to funny and yet sadly true, I haven't figured out how to mute the intercom and still hear my tunes! (Actually I did, boy does that make her mad!!) But when she slaps me on the back I know she wants something. Hey we're back to hand signals again:rollin

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I have put over 100K miles on two bikes and over 50K on several more. Riding across the country and using a CB with friends is helpful. We can tell each other about eats, sleeps, gas, restrooms, etc. Plus share what we are seeing. Even talk about maintenance ideas on the bikes. Back before GPS, we could even talk to a trucker once in a while to get important info. Made it nice one time when a friend had a tire going down and we had a trucker send a tow back to us. When my daughter was young and rode with me, she didn't like the CB because it interfered with her listening to her music.

·
Registered
25,296 Posts
I like the weather band on the radio , but NOAA will tell you of a storm in Dipshit County , and if you aren't from that area you might not know the name of the county you are in or the surrounding counties.

And as far as hand signals go, I have very few. You can count them on one hand........one finger even.

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
I have a '14 Ultra Limited. I tell everyone I don't use the CB because it's a distraction. In reality, I have no clue how the thing works, couldn't hear it anyway, and only use the headset to intercom with my wife. The VOX doesn't work worth CHIT so we use the toggles. Once used to it, she loves it.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,966 Posts
I have the cb on my '11 Ultra, and it has been used very few times mainly because most of the people I ride with don't have cb. I have enjoyed having it with a few cross country riding partners, but hand signals work every bit as well as the cb for essential communications.

·
Banned
71 Posts
I have the cb on my '11 Ultra, and it has been used very few times mainly because most of the people I ride with don't have cb. I have enjoyed having it with a few cross country riding partners, but hand signals work every bit as well as the cb for essential communications.
I use the CB..... you start up to waving your hands and legs around.....I'm a thinking you're having some sort of conniption fit :devil

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,966 Posts
Nothing complicated, Web. Point at gas tank...stop for gas soon. Point at crotch, keep going and watch your buddy squirm and flip you off.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Nothing complicated, Web. Point at gas tank...stop for gas soon. Point at crotch, keep going and watch your buddy squirm and flip you off.
You look at me and point to your crotch ....... I'm catch'n another gear and I'm outta there..... :eek:uttahere:

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have an Ultra, I didn't buy it for all the bells and whistles, I bought it because it was priced right. I really like it, but I don't listen to anything except the rumble. One of the things I really enjoy about riding is not having someone yakking in my ear. I can just think and look and enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Use both the CB and hand signals in my group every doesn't have a CB. This works fine and we can converse over the CB while riding.

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
i have an ultra, i didn't buy it for all the bells and whistles, i bought it because it was priced right. I really like it, but i don't listen to anything except the rumble. One of the things i really enjoy about riding is not having someone yakking in my ear. I can just think and look and enjoy the ride.
+100

·
Registered
100 Posts
I do alot of solo road trips. So I like and use the CB to talk with the truckers when I get tired of listening to the voices in my head. I never turn the radio off as I need something to keep me from zoning out.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,966 Posts
I had rigged my old '04 Ultra with a small ham radio transceiver, a mock of a Yagi antenna lashed to the luggage rack on the tour pack, and had a Morse Code iambic paddle keyer on the gas fill cover. Caused quite a stir. Too bad I never had it working, but it made a few people wonder when I had the helmet with the boom mike and cord plugged in.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts