Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 Sportster 1200 Custom. My headlight is a single bulb dual function. The low beam works great but the high beam does not. I’ve replaced it with a new bulb and still does not work. What is the easiest way to diagnose my issue?

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I would start by checking out the High / Low switch for mechanical issues (corrosion, water intrusion) first, especially if that switch housing has been messed with as of late (new grips or handlebar adjustment?). then go with the VOM or a test light probe.

Note: Beware opening up that chrome handlebar riser on the Sporty Customs! It's a wire birds nest in there and very easy to pinch / crimp / break wires and connections inside and when reinstalling the cover plate! Ask me how i know!

If anyone has been in that riser, your problem is prolly hiding in side there. Cover the fuel tank with padding before exploring that riser box! You need 6 hands to hold the bars, tools and hardware... just sayin'

EDIT: A H.D. Service manual with a wiring diagram, is your best friend. They can be found used for a $ savings... Or new from the parts desk at your local H.D. dealership. Don't waste you time with the Chiltons or Clymer, they lead you down a rabbit hole and have chitty lying wire diagrams.. The dealership has to order them from MoCo, takes about 10 days and around $140. But its the best tool you can buy for your bike!

·
Just Ride
3,863 Posts
Make sure your headlight plug is good. They've been known to melt.

Reactions: 1/2 Ton and tekslk

·
Just Ride
3,863 Posts
Thinking one and done.

Reactions: tekslk

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Thinking one and done.
Well, got to give him a chance.. He started this thread 6 hours ago, before morning coffee...maybe still lookin at the wiring.

Reactions: tekslk
1 - 7 of 7 Posts