Harley Davidson Forums banner

41 - 60 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have to agree with 2stangs8689, I think the wind noise is more related to the windshield and front end setup than the helmet. As far as excess strap either cut it or just tuck it back underneath.

·
THE Yuppie Outlaw
10,081 Posts
I have wind noise, but no where near what you describe. Cut the excess strap, ditch the o-ring. I did that before I even left the house. Lol. Maybe the batwing and shield make the difference. Love mine. Have about 1000 miles or so with it now.
It must because I have no windshield of any kind. In my Harley helmet I have very little wind noise. With the bandana on I have literally no "helmet" wind noise. As far as the strap, I totally get it, but I like to use things as designed before I modify them.

The size and weight of the helmet is good enough that I WILL find a way to modify the straps to a useable condition.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
I modify right out of the gate if needed or I see fit. I've dealt with too many aftermarket car part pieces over the years that were "bolt on" I guess. Half of it isn't even close.

Sorry it isn't working for you, I love mine. I want to get my straps done tho, just to add a little more comfort.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I do not recommend this, but. I have a narrow head with high forehead. aka Stan Laurel. My helmets make me look like a Martian. I took the liner off the top inside and used a torch to melt away 1/2" of Styrofoam away and re-glued the liner back on. Helmet now sits lower and actually snugger on the sides because it doesn't ride on the top of my head.
It's DOT approved Daytona carbon fiber that I use for local riding. Not good for freeway because the curved out bottom scoops in air.

:loco

Attachments

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
...I took the liner off the top inside and used a torch to melt away 1/2" of Styrofoam away and re-glued the liner back on. Helmet now sits lower and actually snugger on the sides because it doesn't ride on the top of my head.
It's DOT approved Daytona carbon fiber ...

:loco
Not anymore it isn't.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Not anymore it isn't.
I'm aware of that but, I would ride with a non- DOT helmet if legal. My helmet still looks like a stock DOT issue....:whoa

·
Beer Enthusiast
324 Posts
Finally broke down and bought the outlaw low profile helmet. ITS FRICKEN AWESOME!!! Super light weight, fits great, looks a million times better than my other half helmets, and as far as wind noise goes I didn't notice any difference. I hardly noticed I even had a helmet on. First 100 miles with it today and I am completely satisfied!

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
:thumbsup

Couple thousand miles on mine now, still love it!!

·
THE Yuppie Outlaw
10,081 Posts
I don't have a problem admitting when I am wrong

The outlaw helmet is really growing on me. I modified the chin strap so there is no excess. The more I wear it the more flexible the nylon strapping is becoming and it seems to have lessened the wind noise.

I still say its noisy. Lmao.

·
Registered
44 Posts
What's that about, "don't dressing for the ride, dress for the crash"?

Oh, i'm just babbling BS...nevermind all that, have to look cool when LifeFlight sets down.

"What was I thinking"? Silly me...

·
THE Yuppie Outlaw
10,081 Posts

Oh, i'm just babbling BS...nevermind all that, have to look cool when LifeFlight sets down.

How about, don't crash.

·
Beer Enthusiast
324 Posts

Yeah, you know your right... You should just put that roadglide in a bubble and put it on display for all to see in your garage. There's a chance of an accident occurring if you ride it. WTF man, really?? If cool was the factor than I would never wear a helmet, but I feel better having one on. It's MY choice.. Lemme guess, you only ride with a full face helmet, gloves, leather jacket and chaps all summer long?? If you do good for you, it's YOUR choice to ride how you wanna ride. Unless of course I just forgot to read the Harley rule book that all riders must live by. Then I apologize and I will search amazon for it tonight.....

·
Hates being Sick.
471 Posts
I still wear my usual, a full face Shoei RX900. Its a great helmet, very quiet, with quick remove shields. Im on my first Harley, a Sporty, and i love it. In the past, i rode other bikes and was just brought up wearing a full face. I wore a full face in my stock cars as well. I may end up switching to a half helmet eventually, i am continually evolving and not set in stone on the issues of what and how i ride. So this has been an interesting thread. I wear jeans and a tshirt, with a leather jacket when i ride now too. Used to ride with shorts, tank or t or no shirt, so like i say, im evolving, hopefully for the better.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yeah, you know your right... You should just put that roadglide in a bubble and put it on display for all to see in your garage. There's a chance of an accident occurring if you ride it. WTF man, really?? If cool was the factor than I would never wear a helmet, but I feel better having one on. It's MY choice.. Lemme guess, you only ride with a full face helmet, gloves, leather jacket and chaps all summer long?? If you do good for you, it's YOUR choice to ride how you wanna ride. Unless of course I just forgot to read the Harley rule book that all riders must live by. Then I apologize and I will search amazon for it tonight.....
...that dude is really mad...

I wear the HD halfbucket with skulls, does that make me cool?

Oh I wear glooves too (i'm not cool), and a jacket when it's cold (what a geek)...

BUT, i feel like a dumbass for not wearing the proper gear. Can't change common sense.

...."i'm so mad brah"... :p

Though, i just got back from a rain storm here in Cartersville, and I should have pulled the goggles out.

What was your point? You still mad?

·
Beer Enthusiast
324 Posts
No anger, and now iv just accepted the fact that you continue to post statements that bash other who don't do the same as you. I stated whatever you wear while you ride is up to you, I wouldn't look down on anyone, it's your choice, do what makes you comfortable. I said what I said in hopes of you realizing how ridiculous your statements were. Obviously that didn't work... All well, I would like to point out that this thread didn't go to chit til you got involved...

41 - 60 of 108 Posts