Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after 25 years kids are grown, and now it is my time. just got a 2008 low rider. after riding for a while i want to change handlebars. the stock makes me reach to far foward, shoulder blades start to hurt after a while. any suggestions to get a more reach back feel. any help would be great, i am a newbie.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,503 Posts
Howdy lowridernj, welcome aboard.
Funny, I'm a LowRider guy and my first and middle initials are nj.
I had to wait 30 years since my last Harley. It is definitely time.

I had the same problem with the reach, two approaches I'd suggest, one of which I have done with very good results. Nearly perfect, if you're taller than 5'10 it may be even better for you.

I added 6 1/2" risers with a pull-back under the stock handlebars without having to re-do any wiring hydraulics or cables. A VAST improvement for the investment and simplicity. $71, I had to tug on the cables and wiring some to make some slack, and unclip some wires that had fit tight to the handlebars.

http://www.jpcycles.com/productdeta...7C366E0CA78&store=Harley&page=6&search=risers

A hitch, the threaded holes in the stock risers that hold down the clamp do not bottom out, they go all the way thru, as a result the same bolts won't work, get an assortment of chrome bolts from the HD dealer, I actually have some black steel in mine right now because I can't find just the right length, but I have a pair that are a bit too long I will cut to the right length.

Another step if you consider a seat replacement, there are seats that will put you an inch or so closer that will help. I think they are called "reach" versions of the regular seats. If you have a significant other that will ride along you'll need to get the Sundowner seat which I think come in a "reach" configuration.

I shied away from replacing the handlebars, myself, too much uncertainty on what the right fit would be, and a lot of re-wiring and extending cables and hydraulics.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wiring and cables not an issue. do not know the measurments on the staock handle bars. would like more pull back and maybe a little more hieght.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,503 Posts
see if I can submit this chart...

Doesn't seem I can do this, somebody more saavy see if they can figure out how to post this chart.. or rather the chart accessed from this page...

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/...4309239890&bmUID=1215383051594&bmLocale=en_US

Part Number Tip to Tip Base Width Rise Pull Back Knurl Center to Center
56055-01 30.25" 8.5" 3.75" 4.75" 3.14"

The 56055-01 is a chrome replacement for a LowRider handlebar, so the measurements should be the standard.

Attachments

·
Registered
212 Posts
A hitch, the threaded holes in the stock riders that hold down the clamp do not bottom out, they go all the way thru, as a result the same bolts won't work, get an assortment of chrome bolts from the HD dealer, I actually have some black steel in mine right now because I can't find just the right length, but I have a pair that are a bit too long I will cut to the right length.
You can always bring the bolts to your local ACE Hardware. They have chrome bolts in different assortments you can get for your specific application. Reasonable prices too when compared to the dealer in my area.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts