Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was OP over in the Softail area and during the thread the Low Rider came up. I never really considered that model, but after doing some research I was intrigued. I went to the dealership and threw a leg over one and the ergos were great (yeah, I'm short). I like mid controls and pegs, so all was cool. Then the engine was started. I was really surprised at the amount of vibration. You Dyna guys, is that just the character of the beast, or is it because it is brand new? I understand the engine is not counter balanced and expected more than a softail, but that was way more than I anticipated. I haven't taken the plunge into any decision yet, and this aspect isn't a deal breaker. However, I wanted to know if it lessens with use, or again, is it just what it does? I truly like pretty much very basic riding, and I don't really mind feeling holes in the road, dips, etc., but I do ride a lot and my ride is my primary means of transportation. I am also in the market for something I'm going to have for a good while. So, what's the deal on the Low Rider as an everyday ride. Current everyday ride is an 883. She's a cool little bike, but I'm looking for a bit more in the power department.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
all dynas vibrate- its not real noticeable at cruising speeds

·
Registered
42,096 Posts
In a way, Dynas are the opposite of Softails.

Softails are smoothest at idle.
Dynas are smoothest at speed.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
did you just sit on at dealer when running or test ride dynas vibe a little more when stopped at light then when going down the road

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
That is not vibration at idle, it's "shake", caused by the engine being suspended on rubber mounts. Once underway, the Dyna is very smooth. I can read license plate numbers in my mirror. Touring models also have this "shake".

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To take this in another direction now that the "shake" issue is cleared up. Any words of wisdom from anyone who has used a Low Rider as an everyday ride, particularly into the high mileage range (50k +). The more I look at this thing, the more I like it.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
If the vibration bothers you , better look at a softail standard cause the dyna's vibrate at every RPM . Even though they are rubber mounted this does almost nothing to lessen the dyna's vibration . The bean counters at the MOCO saw to it that there would only be (TWO) rubber mounts instead of the old FXR's (THREE) .
To me they vibrate as much as my old 1985 Low Rider which had the rigid mounted engine . It all depends on how much you can put up with .

·
HawgDawg
265 Posts
My Dyna is a pussycat compared to my Moto Guzzi EV11. No rubber mounts and it hammers like a tractor at all speeds. The Dyna shakes a little at idle, but is completely smooth as it revs up.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I've been spoiled since '72 with a BMW & a couple Wings--with horizontal opposed cylinders. My '13 Dyna Super Glide has minimal vibration, it just throbs, and is very comfortable.

If you want vibration try a BSA or Triumph 650-the originals.

The Pope had a Dyna. A '13 Super Glide Anniversary. He sold it for $250,000. I hope that helps my trade in value.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Flintlock, your last remark goes to prove that Papal infallibility only thing extends to matters of Faith and morals, not decisions about hogs.

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
I hear so much about vibration and shaking.
Just a FWIW. When I bought my 83 Shovel brand new and all stock I was actually disappointed it it`s lack of feel.
A new cam, carb and pipes quickly solved that.
I like to feel my bike. The first thought that always ran through my mind when I started any of my bikes, as the engine rocked in the frame, the whole bike had a shake to it. I felt it in my tail setting on it, my hands when I grabbed the grips......"It`s alive"
But.....that`s just me. :dunno

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I agree 100% about "feeling" the bike. That's what I meant when I originally posted about enjoying basic riding. I also think that's why I've become intrigued with the Low Rider. I don't want a car with two wheels.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
I've ridden my Dyna from Florida to New Hampshire, and many trips to the NC mountains and the only discomfort was my butt on the stock seat. Not butter smooth like a Gold Wing, thank God, but no hands going to sleep, etc.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dropped the coin for the Low Rider this afternoon. Every time I walked to something else the Dyna felt that much better when I came back, in other words, she grabbed me and wouldn't let go.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have come to experience the difference between "shake" (Low Rider), and "vibration" (883 at 75+ mph).

·
Registered
42,096 Posts
Congrats!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Good choice....My dyna kept calling my name as well....got a fat bob...they say the rubber mounts break in after about 2k miles....I find the most vibes at 2100-2200 RPMs other than that it's smooth as silk running 75-80 down the highway......

1 - 20 of 26 Posts