Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If it ain't 1 thing it's 3....

About a year ago I installed a 40 amp 3 phase charging system from Alterstart.

On the way home last night the volt meter moved back and forth from 13.5 (normal) to 12V (not normal). It dipped below 12 at stop lights for the first time.

On the way in this morning (34 degrees, a little chilly) it was at 11V for a mile and climbed up to 12V. I killed the passing lamps and radio and got it up to 13V.

At lunch, there and back about 15 miles, it never got over 11V.

I checked the 3 wires going into the Regulator and they all looked clean and tight.

At 2k RPM I got 11V at the battery but it climbed to 12.5 V. The gauge on the dash showed 12V.

I called Alterstart and they are getting out of the business... dang. They gave me Accumax (the mfg.) phone number and I talked to a very knowledgeable guy named Rod.

Here's what he told me to do when I get home:

Put a passing lamp between each of the 3 leads off the stator, 2 at a time and look for the same brightness. If not, it's the stator. If everything looks like equal brightness, it's the regulator.

Pull the inspection cover and look for magnet pieces - could have slipped a magnet

Pull the primary cover and see if the compensator came loose.

Looks to be a fun night. I thought I was going to put on my new pipes. We'll see. I may have to take the mommy-mobile to work tomorrow (The V-Rod is still in the shop waiting on warranty parts).

·
Super Moderator
12,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I made it home. It read a hair over 12V all the way to the shop where I picked up a primary gasket and 2 quarts of primary oil... just in case. From the shop to home it never got above 11V.

Odd thing... at stoplights with the signal on, the gauge didn't bounce. Even showing 10V, I would expect a little bounce. Looking like the regulator is doing its job with the little amount of Voltage coming from the stator.

Going to change clothes and start messgin with it. I'll check back here in case of any revelations.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Electrical isn't my heavy subject but... Wouldn't putting a 12vdc lamp on the stator which would probably be around +30vac smoke the lamp?

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
About a year ago I installed a 40 amp 3 phase charging system from Alterstart.

What was in this system? Was it all parts. Stator and reg?

My money is on Dave's advice. 4 to 1. Any takers?

·
Registered
39,570 Posts
On the way in this morning (34 degrees, a little chilly) it was at 11V for a mile and climbed up to 12V. I killed the passing lamps and radio and got it up to 13V.
If it isn't the stator, I'm kinda wondering if a battery on its way out would cause these same symptoms.

·
Super Moderator
12,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And the winner is.....(I'll let you decide)....

The small screws used to retain the wires from the stator against the engine block came out and destroyed the magnets, which in turn shredded the wiring.

The Alterstart (Accumax) System was the rotor, stator and voltage regulator.

Anyone know where I can pick up a 3 wire stator and 40 amp rotor ASAP? I'm going to start looking around the web tonight. J&P sells the rotor and stator for about the same price as an entire kit... probably the way to go to make sure everything works in the end.

I'm just sick about those screws coming out.

You can see magnet chunks on the stator. There are bits of magnet all over the primary cover.

Another thing that has me "worried", only a small amount of primary fluid was in the primary. There have been no leaks and I put 1-1/2 quarts in 2 weeks ago. The tranny oil level and the engine level are fine... no way to get in there anyways... is there? Nah.... I can't figure this disappearing act out.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
THAT!!! SUCKS!!!
I had a sprocket screw back out and do some damage to the primary on the FXDWG.Caught it in time.Installed some blue thread locker and did`nt have any more problems with that.:)

·
Super Moderator
12,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe. If you look at the pic of the rotor, you can see one of the screws at the 12:00 position. I think they are #6 thread and less than 1/4" long. I do not know if an allen will clear the rotor. It's very tight back there too. To get a safety wire on it, I would need to pull the inner primary. I was thinking of making sure I have plently of loctite on the new screws and then cover the screws with silicone, so if they back out, the silicone will trap it from going anywhere.

·
Super Moderator
12,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sharkey recommended I clean the threads in the holes with carb cleaner... blow them out thoroughly and use blue loctite. Red scares me... unless I plan on torching them out someday.

I like the screw alarm! That would be cool. It could scream "danger, danger Will Robinson, danger"

·
Registered
284 Posts
Think any magnet filings worked their way into your clutch? It all shares the same fluid... The reason I'm askin' is 'cause I have to replace the stator (bad plug end and my voltage has been weird lately also) and I was getting a screaming clutch toward the end of the season. Wonder if something similar happened to me also.

·
Super Moderator
12,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think the gap between plates would be small enough to prevent filings from getting in. There wouldn't be any pressure to push them in. There were no filing on the outside of the clutch, which seemed odd. There were not any on the chain adjuster either. Maybe I caught it early enough?

·
Super Moderator
12,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
UPS tracking has the charging system here on ...... Monday darn it. Couldn't they accidently be early for once?

·
Registered
39,570 Posts
And wouldnt you know it? The forcast is for 70 degrees on Sat and Sun.... That'd be my luck anyway.

·
Super Moderator
12,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Close: 60 on Sat. 59 on Sunday... Sunny, sunny, sunny . AAAAAuuuuugh!

·
Super Moderator
12,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I got the V-Rod back saturday morning, so the weekend wasn't a complete loss. UPS tracking says the Stator is out for delivery. I may be able to get it back together tonight if I get out of work on time.

·
Super Moderator
12,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Super Moderator
12,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I didn't get very far!!!!

The retaining screws were sheared off flush. I can't get them out and short of tearing the entire engine apart and bring the lower case to the shop... I'm stumped. The screws are less than 1/8" in diameter. I tried tapping on the end with a punch to use a flat head screwdriver, but no such luck.

Any ideas?

Attachments

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
You might try putting a slot in it with a dremel and a wafer thin cutting blade.
try friction like a pencil erasor if its loose you may get enough out to
get a decent slot in or a vice grip hold.
center punch it and drill as smaller hole try to reverse the drill first then maybe braze in a lug second
(probably scrape away the smeared metal around the hole/thread first with a small pick)

·
Super Moderator
12,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 51 Posts