Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The lower fork air deflectors are supposed to stop the head buffeting that occurs above 45 mph.

But will they make the engine run hotter?

Anyone have the deflectors and know the answer?

Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I have them and they do not make my engine run hotter. I also have the lower fork baffle, and it does not make engine run hotter. My soft lowers definitely make it run hotter. I have an oil temp gauge in dash.

·
Banned
71 Posts
The lower fork air deflectors are supposed to stop the head buffeting that occurs above 45 mph.

But will they make the engine run hotter?

Anyone have the deflectors and know the answer?

Thanks,
Joe
Other thread from last week will give lots to read and maybe a few laughs . :)

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,655 Posts
Joe, I have the deflector on my Ultra. It does help with the buffeting. As for the engine, it helps a bit by redirecting the airflow towards the engine.

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the response guys, I think I'll take the plunge and get a set. The buffeting is severe enough to shake my vision.

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
I have a set of deflectors on my EG. They are on the outside of the forks so it does not change the airflow that is mostly going between the forks for cooling.
Only issue I found was that at full turn they hit the crash bar. I custom bent them by hand to make them fit. Seems to work fine in the modified position.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Made a huge improvement in the reduction of head buffeting on my Road King. No issues with hitting the engine guards on my bike. And, I think they look pretty cool! One of the better investments I've made... such that I wonder why they don't come stock?

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Made a huge improvement in the reduction of head buffeting on my Road King. No issues with hitting the engine guards on my bike. And, I think they look pretty cool! One of the better investments I've made... such that I wonder why they don't come stock?
wish they did

·
Registered
6 Posts
I installed the shields and the soft lowers last fall. I don't know about the heat to the engine but they made a considerable difference in the buffeting. I can also hear the radio a little better. I installed the shields what looks like backwards. They don't hit the crash bar this way. I don't like the looks of them but they sure help the buffeting problem.

·
Done
4,154 Posts
I bought a set of fangs to put on my SG. Instructions said it would work with my particular aux. Light brackets & lights. They did not. Buffeting is pretty good with a helmet on. Wish they would have fit. I do have the baffle but have not tried it with a helmet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I also installed the lower wind defectors and a curved clearview windshield it stopped all baffling and no heat problem .

·
Registered
12,500 Posts
I also installed the lower wind defectors and a curved clearview windshield it stopped all baffling and no heat problem .
Did you do both at same time or one at a time?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts