Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know if lowering my RK Custom will affect the air ride. Has anyone done this to their bike? Thanks!

·
Steve
262 Posts
A lady that works for me lowered hers with a lowering kit I believe she got from HD that repisitions the rear shocks up a half inch or so. I'm not sure if she lowered the front also. She said her bike handles great.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
My Classic has been lowered both front and back, but I have not yet been able to ride her since the front work was done due to Western NY winter. Here is what I can share with you, after pretty extensive questioning of as many Road King and other HD riders who are know to lower both front and back, I came to the conclusion that unless you are an aggressive rider the trade off for the lowering are relatively speaking, negligible. I am however repeating a new mantra in preparation for the first time it happens to me: Do not freak the first time you scrape the boards on a turn.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I lowered my '02 3/4" with Progressive fork springs and Progressive rear shocks. I also installed a TrueTrack stabilizer. I did away with the air since they had started leaking down anyway. I really like the stance, handling and I am more comfortable at a traffic light with my short 30" inseam.

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
I lowered my 07 Ultra front & rear. I also put Metzler tires on. It rides a little stiffer, not bad thou. You notice it on big bumps. There is always some trade off when you change things. I like it. Only thing left to do is to re-cam it. I can hold off a while on that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
How did you guys/gals lower the rear? Did you use one of the kits on Ebay?

·
Old Member
2,896 Posts
$100.00 on e-bay for RK Classic, 1" lower and works great. No problems.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a set of lowering blocks from ebay for $45. Just moves lower shock pivot point back, lowered my 08 SG about 1" more. Irun 35# air with just me on the bike and 45# with wife and I. Never bottoms and is very stable.

·
Road Glide
348 Posts
The RK custom already has the 1" lower rear shocks like the Street Glide. I recently fitted the front lowering kit for a customer, it allowed him to get his fet flat on the ground. The bike still rides OK.

·
Registered
14 Posts
what do you have to do to replace the springs in an ultra classic's fork? I have the outer fairing off, the lower inner fairing off and it looks like i need to remove the handlebars to get the springs out. Problem now is how do i reposition the fairing to be able to remove the handlebars?

·
Shovelhead
391 Posts
what do you have to do to replace the springs in an ultra classic's fork? I have the outer fairing off, the lower inner fairing off and it looks like i need to remove the handlebars to get the springs out. Problem now is how do i reposition the fairing to be able to remove the handlebars?
You are going to have to remove the fork tubes to get to the plugs on top of the tube. They hold the spring in the tube. Do you have a service manual? Doesn't look like you can see this image very well.

Attachments

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
I lowered my '02 3/4" with Progressive fork springs and Progressive rear shocks. I also installed a TrueTrack stabilizer. I did away with the air since they had started leaking down anyway. I really like the stance, handling and I am more comfortable at a traffic light with my short 30" inseam.
Sorry off topic a bit, that is one beautiful bike love the red and brown combo.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You are going to have to remove the fork tubes to get to the plugs on top of the tube. They hold the spring in the tube. Do you have a service manual? Doesn't look like you can see this image very well.

Service manual on the way, was hoping i could remove the handlebars and then i could get at the caps without removing the forks.

·
09 Dyna Super Glide
1,691 Posts
I would like to know if lowering my RK Custom will affect the air ride. Has anyone done this to their bike? Thanks!
Any time you reduce the travel in your suspension you will reduce the ride quality, especially when you are on harsh road surfaces. A lot of factors come into play - the type of shocks you use, the spring kits that you use in the front forks, your weight, whether you ride two up or not, and how aggressively you ride the bike.

Your basic options are to use a stiffer suspension that will not bottom out easily, but will be a much rougher ride, or use a softer suspension that will bottom out more easily.

The Harley Street Glide is mostly just a lowered Road King/Electra Glide. That is why it's ride is not as plush as its taller taller touring machines.

If you are lowering the bike because it is too tall for you, one solution would be to have the seat narrowed. The Road King is about the same seat height as an XL883, which I can sit on flatfooted even with a taller Mustang seat. When sitting on a Road King I can just barely balance the bike on the balls of my feet. The reason for this is because the XL883 seat is narrower, not lower than that of the Road King.

Pete

1 - 16 of 16 Posts