Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would appreciate any input from riders that have done this.

I have a 2009 Electra Glide Classic. When I tried it in the showroom I felt comfortable on it. I'm 5' 7" and could sit on the bike with both feet flat on the floor, so I thought that I could handle it comfortably.

However I feel nervous when moving to bike around in parking spots etc. It feels very unstable.

I have lowered the rear by fitting a kit from MACS Fabrication, and this made a big difference.

I want to lower the front forks by the same amount (1 inch)
what is my best option? I have heard that progressive does a good kit, does anyone have experience of these kits, and how much trouble is it to strip the fairing (I understand that this is necessary)

Any body done this?

spanner

·
2,327 Posts
I had the MACS lowering kit on my bike. Didn't like the way it handled, the shocks are put at a different angle. I had my seat re-done at an auto upholstery shop, the took in the sides a little. Progressive 430 11.5" shocks in the rear and Progressive in the front (I did not lower).
This lowered me almost 2", and the bike handles to perfection.
Taking the fairing off is easier done with 2 people, just because of the bulk. Make sure you have a service manual.

·
Banned
71 Posts
I would appreciate any input from riders that have done this.

I have a 2009 Electra Glide Classic. When I tried it in the showroom I felt comfortable on it. I'm 5' 7" and could sit on the bike with both feet flat on the floor, so I thought that I could handle it comfortably.

However I feel nervous when moving to bike around in parking spots etc. It feels very unstable.

I have lowered the rear by fitting a kit from MACS Fabrication, and this made a big difference.

I want to lower the front forks by the same amount (1 inch)
what is my best option? I have heard that progressive does a good kit, does anyone have experience of these kits, and how much trouble is it to strip the fairing (I understand that this is necessary)

Any body done this?

spanner
Reworking your seat to lower you down will do you more good than ANYTHING else you could do to your bike . :thumbsup

·
Registered
864 Posts
+1 on the fairing. Just loosen your pinch bolts and slide the fork tubes out. Just make sure you have the front of the bike well supported. they are a little pricey, but a flat platform jack under the bike is a great way to support it while the from wheel is off. While they are working on your seat it is a nice time to maybe add a gel pad or other comfort features. Good luck with your project.

·
Retired citizen
24,285 Posts
Gotta remove the top fork plugs and loosen the pinch bolts to pull the tubes out of the triple clamps. Gotta have the fairing off to access the top fork plugs too.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts