Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,i would like to know if someone installed profile low touring shocks.(54631-02B).i do not want to make lower the front end of my bike.does anybody have any experience from this?thank you for your time!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Lowered a 2008 FLHTCUSE3

I just lowered the rear on my '08 Ultra SE (same kit). Before, my feet would not be planted firmly on the ground. Now I can get my feet completely flat, but still not the way I like. So, initially I'm happy. I have the lowering kit for the front as well but will have the dealer install sometime in January. That should get the bike to the level I'm looking for.

I've only had it out for one ride since the rear shock change and as far as ride comfort goes, it's still there. I will get a better feel with more seat time.

·
Old Member
2,896 Posts
The low profile touring shocks work great as far as handling ,looks and getting your feet closer to the ground. They don't take too much away from cornering but do give you a little rougher ride.
You do not have to lower the front end as that will make your ride even rougher and scraping of your floor boards will be increased.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it will be a broblem for the passenger on the ride?it will be too much rough?i mean my wife is going to shoot me after that???????????
it is more nice to let her home............!!!!
what do you think?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought chrome heavy duty chrome 1" lower shocks on ebay and installed them on my 08 RG. Drove it for 2 weeks no problems, even 2 up. I was waiting for the 1" lower progressive spring kit for the front. Honestly I would have left the front stock however already ordered the progressives. I know we have different bikes, but I think the 41mm fronts are the same! Matter of fact I think the flhx's are like that from the factory. The 1" lower shocks for the rear are factory on the flhx's

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
You folks are readjusting or at least rechecking your drive belt after installing lowered ANYTHING in the rear, right?

Changing the rear ride height changes the swing arm angle, changing the resting tension of your drive belt...... If not adjusted correctly, it could result in a costly repair and possibly towing, depending on where it breaks on the road.........If it's on the verge of needing adjustment, and you lower the rear, it could be enough to make it too slack and cause premature failure.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i do not think that this that you describe is happening when we install this lower kit.these are the same shocks as the original but just 20 mm lower.nothing change the swing angle,and the tension of the drive belt...!you install them to the same holes as the originals.you just plug them.i understand that this it will happened to the previous lower kit that was in the market for cheaper price,two pieces of metal!please check it and tell me your opinion.check the part number i gave you at the first post here.!

·
MPG'S? Who gives a
9,925 Posts
still don't know why they don't just take an inch of foam out of the pilots seat ?? the tour rides have plenty foam to spare :confused: (look no caps dave :thumb)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i don't want to make lower my bike for standing good at the traffic lights craiger.i want to make lower my bike.i like to see it lower than the original,from factory height.so i do not need to take off any foam fron the seat.i want my bike lower.i am tall enough for my bike.!!!! i just want my bike to be lower.....!!!!!so,read better what we were talking about!

·
MPG'S? Who gives a
9,925 Posts
NIKOS,my reading is just fine thanx :thumb YOU never mentioned why,and most people lower these bikes because of the seat height,but thank you for your kind reply.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
NIKOS,my reading is just fine thanx :thumb YOU never mentioned why,and most people lower these bikes because of the seat height,but thank you for your kind reply.

:rofl: Try and help a brother out and thats what you get? :eek7

Maybe it's a language thing craiger.

·
MPG'S? Who gives a
9,925 Posts
GREAT!,first my reading..now the language..:banghead :1drink

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i want to apologise if my manner speaking to craiger was blunt.at your first reply,i thought you were a little ironical!!!if you were not,i really apologise.!!!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
still don't know why they don't just take an inch of foam out of the pilots seat ?? the tour rides have plenty foam to spare (look no caps dave )

but as you can see here your reply, you said,"still don't know why they don't just take......"
so,you don't know because nobody is indebted to give you to understand,if you can not understand by your self.also you said "they..."who?????????all of us the inferiors from you craig????as you can see your reply gave me the impression that was ironical.
sorry for one more time.
nikos.!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
by the way,i installed the lower kit that we are talking about before 3 days and everything is fine.it is the same comfortable the ride as it was before.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Hi niko. It is nice to have you here. I must admit it's a little tough to fully understand your English but we are trying our best. It might have been better to mention why you wanted to lower the bike in your first post for a more accurate response from us.

You see most people want the bike lower because they cant reach the ground very well.

Now I know better so you have no choice but to get shorter shocks.

There will be a rougher ride because there is less suspension travel but if you buy higher quality shocks than the stock ones then you can possibly equal the stock ride. Maybe you could try these. Click here

Or here

Your a lucky man to be cruising around Greece on a Harley! :thumb

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:This is some funny sheet, I'm f#@kin gone:rofl::rofl: I'm sorry ah no I'm not I'm still laughing:rofl::rofl:

·
MPG'S? Who gives a
9,925 Posts
Hi niko. It is nice to have you here. I must admit it's a little tough to fully understand your English but we are trying our best. It might have been better to mention why you wanted to lower the bike in your first post for a more accurate response from us.

You see most people want the bike lower because they cant reach the ground very well.

Now I know better so you have no choice but to get shorter shocks.

There will be a rougher ride because there is less suspension travel but if you buy higher quality shocks than the stock ones then you can possibly equal the stock ride. Maybe you could try these. Click here

Or here

Your a lucky man to be cruising around Greece on a Harley! :thumb
HI NIKOS! I havn't responded to your appoligies yet,so here it is,I applogize for making it sound condesending,i couldn't have said it better than EZ.the thread had a few guys asking the same question,because these tourers do have a high seat height so I addressed everyone,as if I was asking other peoples opinion, like people do in forums.I know you misunderstood my comments. No sweat,have fun here,try to remember this is a friendly site not a aggressive, insulting type of place. I hope you realize that we're all sort of buddies sitting around talking about what we all have in common, a HARLEY,:thumb

·
Registered
20 Posts
A friend of mine lost his left leg in water ski accident and had to lower his 98 Road king, he is an engineer and all he did was turn the swingarm upside down, with a couple of mods he's been riding it now for the last 8 years. He's traveling around Aus now but I'll try and get a few details of the mod's he did.
:thumb

1 - 20 of 22 Posts