Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now anyone that knows me very well knows that I don't know crap about working on bikes, just kinda learn as I go. So how can I go about lowering the ass end of my fatboy without spending a load of $$

from looking underneath, it looks as though the shocks have a threaded shaft that might have about an inch or two of movemnet, is this correct? it surely isn't as simple as unmounting the shocks, turning them several times and remounting them is it?

I want the bike to sit approx 1.5 or 2 inches lower, something about the way the rear fender sits above the wheel just buggs me. Also, I plan on putting a taildragger fender back there when I order my new sheetmetal, so I don't know how lowering it will effect the new fender, so I want any change to be reversable.

thanks

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Now anyone that knows me very well knows that I don't know crap about working on bikes, just kinda learn as I go. So how can I go about lowering the ass end of my fatboy without spending a load of $$

from looking underneath, it looks as though the shocks have a threaded shaft that might have about an inch or two of movemnet, is this correct? it surely isn't as simple as unmounting the shocks, turning them several times and remounting them is it?

I want the bike to sit approx 1.5 or 2 inches lower, something about the way the rear fender sits above the wheel just buggs me. Also, I plan on putting a taildragger fender back there when I order my new sheetmetal, so I don't know how lowering it will effect the new fender, so I want any change to be reversable.

thanks

Rear: Softail adjustable lowering eyelets for the shocks. You have some adjustment from what it sounds, depending on what EXACTLY it is. Try it....

You want to SHORTEN the shaft to lower it. It works easiest if you jack the bike up and take the pressure off the rear suspension.

Softails are easy to lower, but it can take away from your leaning angle quickly and bottoming out. Lower it in small increments.

Front: Progressive fork springs.

·
Registered
39,458 Posts
Rear: Softail adjustable lowering eyelets for the shocks. You have some adjustment from what it sounds, depending on what EXACTLY it is. Try it....

You want to SHORTEN the shaft to lower it. It works easiest if you jack the bike up and take the pressure off the rear suspension.

Softails are easy to lower, but it can take away from your leaning angle quickly and bottoming out. Lower it in small increments.

Front: Progressive fork springs.
On Softails, to lower the rear, you actually want to lengthen the shocks. Might sound bassackwards, but it's not.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
You're right.......My bad........

Shortening them raises the bike. Pivot. I was testing you Brian.... :D

·
Registered
39,458 Posts
I knew ya were. :D

·
Banned
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the link, BTW: your fatty looks great.
What blinkers are those in the rear? how far out do they sit from the fender? I hate the stock ones on my bike, too damn long

·
Registered
39,458 Posts
Those are stock Night Train turn signals, just powdercoated black.

·
Banned
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my bad, I referred to your bike as a fatty, guess it isn't wasn't paying attention to the front end, just noticed the solid rear wheel and assumed custom rear fender and blacked out motor

1 - 10 of 10 Posts