Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey again all,

Just a quick ? for all the modding vets out there... I'm interested in lowering my bike an inch or so. What's the best method for doing so? and what are the trade-offs as far as performance and feel and ride are concerned?

I asked a buddy of mine and the first thing he said was get lower shocks cuz your stock ones suck anyways. hehe

all input welcome!!

·
Fla Cajun
25,353 Posts
Progressive makes a lowering kit for the front forks, also make some shorter shocks. Of course i will shorten the lenght of travel so it'll ride a little rougher.

·
Banned
2,466 Posts
You won't be able to go into corners real hard either. I scrape the muffler bolts if I push it hard. I have 11 inch shocks.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Here is what I'd do. First measure the bike vertically from the rear shock top bolt to the ground. Replace the shocks with shorter shocks and measure again. Now, you know how much shorter the bike is at the rear. Keep track of that difference. Measure the front of the bike somewhere to get a good vertical measurement with the bike sitting straight up. I would suggest the foot peg mount. Then for the front just loosen the triple tree and let the front forks raise up about 3/4ths the difference you measured in the rear. Tighten the clamps and re-measure the front. Did you get the same difference as the rear. If not tweak the front until you do. You may get a harsher ride at the rear but you won't at the front because the front forks are the same as before just up higher in the tree. I've done this and it works. Word of caution: Put something under the bike to hold it up while you loosen the tree bolts, etc or the bike will be laying on the ground. Second, be sure both forks are exactly the same distance up in the tree. If not the bike will pull to one side or the other.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Go with burly brand. Made by progressive but cheaper. Best mod I've done was putting slammer shocks on. I weigh 250 and it never bottoms out, the ride is not any stiffer that I could tell but being a heavier guy I am always on the strongest setting for shocks. I love the look and the ride and the seating position. I didn't lower the front end just the rear and it gives a more comfortable seating position and I'm not sitting straight up anymore. Best thing I've done. Also buy on amazon or eBay, much cheaper!!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Go with burly brand. Made by progressive but cheaper. Best mod I've done was putting slammer shocks on. I weigh 250 and it never bottoms out, the ride is not any stiffer that I could tell but being a heavier guy I am always on the strongest setting for shocks. I love the look and the ride and the seating position. I didn't lower the front end just the rear and it gives a more comfortable seating position and I'm not sitting straight up anymore. Best thing I've done. Also buy on amazon or eBay, much cheaper!!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Hah! No $hit! so you lowered the back and never lowered the front? hmm that actually never crossed my mind.

So the burly brand shocks alone lowered the rear? Do you know how much exactly? If not, guestimate?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You won't be able to go into corners real hard either. I scrape the muffler bolts if I push it hard. I have 11 inch shocks.
Jeez... yeah yunno i actually really enjoy leaning into the corners hard. Any idea how tall the stock Sportster shocks are? More than 11?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Progressive makes a lowering kit for the front forks, also make some shorter shocks. Of course i will shorten the lenght of travel so it'll ride a little rougher.
I've checkout that lowering kit. It's called a "Drop In" kit... goes for $129.95. They also make a standard Fork Lowering kit, $118.95. Any ideas as to the difference, or why I wouldn't take the Drop In option which seems WAY simpler?

·
Banned
71 Posts
I've checkout that lowering kit. It's called a "Drop In" kit... goes for $129.95. They also make a standard Fork Lowering kit, $118.95. Any ideas as to the difference, or why I wouldn't take the Drop In option which seems WAY simpler?
Just rework your seat to lower you the one inch that you want. :thumbsup

:coffee:

·
Banned
71 Posts
Rework.... as in get a new one? Man I love that Mustang Solo... that would kill me to have to replace it.
Not replaced, just rework the padding to lower your butt one inch. Several shops will do it for around $100.00 to $200.00 .

:coffee:

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Hah! No $hit! so you lowered the back and never lowered the front? hmm that actually never crossed my mind.

So the burly brand shocks alone lowered the rear? Do you know how much exactly? If not, guestimate?
yeah, I like the angle and lines better just lowering the rear end. I just put the 10.5 inch slammer shocks on it. For most sporty models the stock shocks are 12 inches so it dropped the rear an inch and a half. They are the same as the Progressive 412 series, I got mine on Amazon for $155 brand new in the box. The progressives are $300. I'm sure the quality is a little better with Progressive branded ones but I am very please with Burly Brand products. Burly also makes a full blown slammer kit to lower the front forks as well but for my setup, I didn't want to go that route.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
also I would not mess with the mustang seat, There are much better ways of lowering than screwing with an already perfect seat. Lower the shocks my friend, you won't regret it.

·
Banned
2,466 Posts
Jeez... yeah yunno i actually really enjoy leaning into the corners hard. Any idea how tall the stock Sportster shocks are? More than 11?
I believe they are between 12 & 13 inches. You can measure your existing shocks to see the difference in length. Mine is an 883L and you can see how low it is in my garage. I would not touch the Mustang seat myself. Mean City won't modify a Mustang if I remember correctly.

Good luck

·
Wayward Son
23,351 Posts
I believe they are between 12 & 13 inches. You can measure your existing shocks to see the difference in length. Mine is an 883L and you can see how low it is in my garage. I would not touch the Mustang seat myself. Mean City won't modify a Mustang if I remember correctly.

Good luck
I contacted them a while back. They will do a memory foam mod on Mustangs. But won`t touch a Lapera seat with gel. :dunno

·
Banned
2,466 Posts
I like my Mustang just the way it is. I myself would not touch it for ride height.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts