Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
"MacHine"
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 5’5” with a 30” inseam and would like to get some recommendations for lowering a 2009 Road King FLHR. Because I am short my feet on not flat on the ground. I plan to change the seat, but I suspect it will not be low enough.

Should I plan on lowering both the front and back suspension, or just the back? What will be the impact on performance/ride with doing both the front and rear or just the rear? Thanks in advance for any help and/or suggestions.

Jeff

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Change the seat first, then see how it fits.

If you need more, you can lower the rear only, without effecting the handling, or not to the degree where it's going to be something that most owners would notice.

If that's still not enough, you can get Progressive suspensions lowering spring kit for the front.

Be forewarned that lowering a big-twin too much decreases ground clearence and turning capabilities. (scrape)

·
"MacHine"
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dave. I am looking for a seat and also looking for a higher riding boot. But the big question for me was lowering the rear shocks only.

Thanks for your help.

Jeff

·
Motor boating
5,255 Posts
if you lower the rear and not the front i would be more worried about wheel to fender clearance or maybe even bag to exhaust clearance other than handling. you could go 1 inch in the back and the untrained eye couldn't see it. a road king can't be but so aggressive in the turns/switchbacks etc so the rear drop probably would never be noticed until you went to put your feet down. :thumb

·
"MacHine"
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks - Most people I have discussed the lowering of the rear shocks said not to lower more than 1 inch. I am hoping that the 1" lower rear in combination with a lower a seat will do the trick. I love my parents, but wish they were taller...

Jeff

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Thanks - Most people I have discussed the lowering of the rear shocks said not to lower more than 1 inch. I am hoping that the 1" lower rear in combination with a lower a seat will do the trick. I love my parents, but wish they were taller...

Jeff
I got two words for ya......Leg Extensions. It's all the rage.......:thumb

·
"MacHine"
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How about boot extenders? It was also suggested to add a 2nd sole to my boots. Sounds like a good idea.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I have my RK lowered 2" front and back. No problems... Even with the OL (175lbs) on. We may bottom out on deep potholes. There's been a couple times where the kick stand has tapped turning a corner too fast with her on and we ring the ride bell a lot doin' the twisties. But I have no problems. Solo I can keep up with Dynas in the turns.

·
"MacHine"
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info. I lowered the back, about 1" and did not notice any difference and I can plant my foot better on the ground.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Change the seat first, then see how it fits.

If you need more, you can lower the rear only, without effecting the handling, or not to the degree where it's going to be something that most owners would notice.

If that's still not enough, you can get Progressive suspensions lowering spring kit for the front.

Be forewarned that lowering a big-twin too much decreases ground clearence and turning capabilities. (scrape)
x2....can also look into a Legends air system, raise & lower to yor liking..little pricey, but nice:nod

·
Registered
10 Posts
How about boot extenders? It was also suggested to add a 2nd sole to my boots. Sounds like a good idea.
I took my boots to the local shoemaker , He added a little over an inch to the sole and heel . Best $100.00 I've spent in a while. I can back my bike up for the first time ever .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts