Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have used Mobile 1 Synthetic oils in every vehicle I've ever owned so there's no doubt in my mind what I'm putting in the Harley motor. I just started riding last year and getting ready to do my first fluid changes, so I'm new to this.

But what about the primary and trans? I hate the idea that Harley tells me to put Syn3 everywhere, but I could be wrong. Is the same 20w50 Mobile good for the primary? I would think so?

What is everyone using?

·
Registered
39,471 Posts
Did you check the sticky in the oil and filters forum?

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,328 Posts
:thumbsup:thumbsup Kainam has an excellent article on oil in the archives. It's worth reading.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just finished the sticky, thanks for pointing that out. Now my head hurts.

I bought the Redline trans oil. I think I'm going to go with the Mobile1 15w50 for the engine because that's what we use to use on the clay circle tracks in the cars and what I gathered from the article. So...one of my original questions, is the same viscosity oil used in the primary? HD does not advertise a viscosity on any of their products.

·
Registered
39,471 Posts
You can use the same viscosity oil in the primary, but I use a lighter oil in there:

Dexron III ATF.
Along with auto transmissions, Dexron III is also used in chain driven 4x4 transfer cases (NP207, NP208 etc)...

After all, what is in an automatic transmission? Clutches, bearings etc... ATF is also used in chain driven transfer cases (NP 207/NP 208) that have.... chains.

Sounds like a HD primary to me.

Some aftermarket clutch manufacturers like Barnett recommend Type F ATF, as Type F contains no friction modifiers.
But I don't know of any chain driven transfer cases that call for Type F ATF.
Side benefit = if you see a drop of oil on your garage floor, you can immediately tell where it is coming from. Red = Primary. Pungent smell to the oil = transmission. Anything else = motor.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I looked at 3 different stores today for "Dexron III". They don't sell the III around here apparently anymore, it's +4 and up. I went with Mobile 1 synthetic ATF.

And the NP205, best transfer case ever.

·
Banned
71 Posts
I looked at 3 different stores today for "Dexron III". They don't sell the III around here apparently anymore, it's +4 and up. I went with Mobile 1 synthetic ATF.

And the NP205, best transfer case ever.
I've used all Mobil 1 synthetics , ATF, Gear lube, 20W-50 motor oil . It has worked well for me . :)

·
Registered
39,471 Posts
I figured you for a Crisco guy. :dunno

1 - 10 of 10 Posts