Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im putting this here so it will be seen quickly so please bare with me. I have always put Amsoil 20w50 in all the holes of my Yamaha warrior, can I not put it in all the holes of my Breakout? I had the 1000 mile fluid change done and they put the Amsoil in the crank case but they told me I had to use the regular HD chit in the tranny and the clutch. Is this true? If I cannot use Amsoil 20w50 in the tranny and clutch then is there a synthetic alternative to the HD mineral oil? BTW After I changed to Amsoil that awful noise at 2300-2500 rpm pretty much went away. I was told at the dealer to buy loud pipes so I couldn't hear the noise, that it was natural.

If you want to email me directly my email is [email protected]

·
Retired citizen
23,188 Posts
I suggest using 85/140 in the trans, Amsoil in the other holes will be ok.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I agree that you should use a true gear oil in the transmission. I use Mobile 1 full synth only because I can get it at Autozone quickly and easily. I am certain that Amsoil has a similar product. I have used it, but I don't recall what they call it. "Severe Gear" maybe?

I use Amsoil 20w50 in the motor. I have used it for a long time and have always been happy with it. I am certain that there are other synthetics that are equally effective, but I like Amsoil. I have a source for the oil that allows me to buy it at about the same price as Mobile. I don't know that I would use it if I had to pay too much for it. I'd probably buy the Mobile V-Twin at AZ as well.

I use Amsoil 10w40 in the primary. It might not matter. I may be my mind playing tricks on me, but it sure seems like the clutch and shifting behave better with the lighter oil.

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
I've always wondered why, if a true gear oil would be better in the transmission, then why does H-D suggest otherwise. It isn't like they couldn't private label a gear oil as well? It isn't like they are actually making Syn-3 or any other petro product they sell.

·
EVO RULER
3,722 Posts
ATF in the primary,Gear oil in the trans,20w60 in the engine

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've always wondered why, if a true gear oil would be better in the transmission, then why does H-D suggest otherwise. It isn't like they couldn't private label a gear oil as well? It isn't like they are actually making Syn-3 or any other petro product they sell.
Im sure that what they sell is what they can get the cheapest that will do the job adequitly but it isnt the BEST by a longshot. Its all about money.

·
evohogfarts
1,512 Posts
Any stats on gear box miledge w/ 20/50 syn and the old gear lube. I'm sure the 20/50 makes a tranny like a Bic

·
Yea, real tough guy.
194 Posts
I suggest using 85/140 in the trans, Amsoil in the other holes will be ok.
Ditto. This is what I do as well and works great. :thumbsup

·
Senile Member
1,713 Posts
I would love to know what automotive oils, I could use or substitute so I don't have to go to a dealer or other "bike shop" to get oil. I want quality oil from an oil company, not a lowest bidder oil with a Harley name on it.

I need a good option for HD 20/50 regular oil from a auto parts store.

·
Registered
38,859 Posts
I use Mobil 1 15w-50 in the motor
Mobil 1 75w-90 in the transmission
ATF in the primary.

All available at Vato-Zone

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
. . . I need a good option for HD 20/50 regular oil from a auto parts store.

Autozone and O'Reilly's both sell Mobile1 V-Twin Synth.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
You can use 20w50 Amsoil in all three holes. The tranny doesn't require gl-5 gear lube, some people love the 85-140, some love the 75-90, some love the 20w50. They will all perform excellently, in the newer transmissions. 20w50 or 10w40, wet clutch compatible, in the primary/clutch, or some love ATF there.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I would love to know what automotive oils, I could use or substitute so I don't have to go to a dealer or other "bike shop" to get oil. I want quality oil from an oil company, not a lowest bidder oil with a Harley name on it.

I need a good option for HD 20/50 regular oil from a auto parts store.
For a mineral oil, there isn't a lot available, except the motorcycle oils. Heat is the problem, most mineral oils don't stand up well the the heat of the air cooled motorcycle. But for the engine, any quality automotive synthetic oil works fine. Same goes for the transmission. The clutch/primary still needs an oil compatible with the wet clutch.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Valvoline 20w-50 motorcycle oil (Black Bottle) is a cheaper alternative..

I run Amsoil 20w-50 in engine, Severe Gear 75-110w in tranny and whatever in the Primary in both my bikes. All oils get changed every 5k miles..

Owner's manuals of newer HD's now showing HD Formula + oil in primary and tranny or SYN3. ..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts