Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm finishing up my hash and eggs at the local beanery and walk out to my Harley.

There is a pool of gasoline under the bike, and I know that is not a good sign.

Yesterday I relocated my enrichener (2006), which took about 2 1/2 hours since I had to relieve the carb backing plate -- real tight squeeze.

Aside from replacing the top with a Yost model with a bracket for the enrichener, I didn't touch the internals, except: I replaced the gasket between the carb and backing plate and put a new fuel line on.

So, either a bit of rubber from the fuel line or a piece of scraping from the gasket made it in and jammed the float bowl.

Naturally, the outdoor patio was full of patrons as they watched me start to work on the bike. After removing the air cleaner cover and A/C to verify the float bowl was the source and not a tear in the fuel line, I replaced the gas covered spark plugs (I always carry an extra set) and she fired right up and took me home.

·
Banned
71 Posts
So I'm finishing up my hash and eggs at the local beanery and walk out to my Harley.

There is a pool of gasoline under the bike, and I know that is not a good sign.

Yesterday I relocated my enrichener (2006), which took about 2 1/2 hours since I had to relieve the carb backing plate -- real tight squeeze.

Aside from replacing the top with a Yost model with a bracket for the enrichener, I didn't touch the internals, except: I replaced the gasket between the carb and backing plate and put a new fuel line on.

So, either a bit of rubber from the fuel line or a piece of scraping from the gasket made it in and jammed the float bowl.

Naturally, the outdoor patio was full of patrons as they watched me start to work on the bike. After removing the air cleaner cover and A/C to verify the float bowl was the source and not a tear in the fuel line, I replaced the gas covered spark plugs (I always carry an extra set) and she fired right up and took me home.
:thumbsup:thumbsup

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
i had that problem the other day. i finished painting the fuel tank (it sat for 2 weeks) installed it yaaaaaaa. then 2 days later went into garage RATS fuel dripping of of scoot. sob dang oring failed. fuel dripped on to spark plug wires an sweelled up 2 x there size. i was not a happy camper . had a ride that day an had to cancel. grrrrrrr

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
That's the reason, the manual says to turn off the fuel, when stopping! Almost never do, but just saying!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's the reason, the manual says to turn off the fuel, when stopping! Almost never do, but just saying!
While turning off the fuel is the right thing to do, it doesn't let you know there is a problem until your engine catches fire from fuel dumping all over it.

·
Registered
685 Posts
wait till that happens in your mom in laws basement and stinks up her house with the smell of gas .. she was kinda poed ! ( i thought it made the place smell great ) :)

·
Banned
71 Posts
wait till that happens in your mom in laws basement and stinks up her house with the smell of gas .. she was kinda poed ! ( i thought it made the place smell great ) :)
A good reason to get your own PLACE there youngman.........:moonBart

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I once spray painted my motorcycle in my mother-in-law's basement. overspray on everything. could not get it off the wood.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Youngmen have no respect . :spank:
Paybacks are a Bitch, as everyone knows. I was alone in the house and down the basement in 1972. Phone was upstairs.

I bent down to pick up a screwdriver and when I stood up I tore all the cartilages in my right knee (old motorcycle accident injury).

My leg locked up and I laid on the floor for 3 1/2 hours before working up the energy to drag myself up the stairs to the phone to call for help.

Surgery the next day and 9 days in the hospital to recover. About 6 months before I was able to ride again...

·
Banned
71 Posts
Paybacks are a Bitch, as everyone knows. I was alone in the house and down the basement in 1972. Phone was upstairs.

I bent down to pick up a screwdriver and when I stood up I tore all the cartilages in my right knee (old motorcycle accident injury).

My leg locked up and I laid on the floor for 3 1/2 hours before working up the energy to drag myself up the stairs to the phone to call for help.

Surgery the next day and 9 days in the hospital to recover. About 6 months before I was able to ride again...
OUCH.............:eek

1 - 12 of 12 Posts