Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to install a luggage rack (with light bar) on the top of the tour pak of my 09 EG Classic. The dealership said 2 hrs labour at $85/hr. ??? There are 4 holes to drill and the electrical is a quick connect to a wire harness that's already in the tour pak.
What am i missing here gang?

·
Road Glide
348 Posts
I'd guess giving the stealer about $170 :faint I'm no good at making anything look nice and I fitted mine in about 15 minutes although mine doesn't have electrics. Just carefully cut out the template and measure 3 or 4 times then drill.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Measure twice.....drill once.

Do it yourself.

·
The Black Knight
98 Posts
I contemplated having the dealer install mine when I got it last month. It comes with a template and it's just 4 holes. Just use a variable-speed drill with the smallest bit to start the pilot holes. As Dave said, measure twice (maybe 3 times) drill once. Piece of cake.
Post pictures afterwards.

·
Registered
43 Posts
How did it go? As a detail, was this the luggage rack (air wing # 79179-08) and LED light (# 68250) through HD? I like that look and am considering this purchase, BUT, after finding my HD Tour Pak organizer ($90) at a non HD site, sans the HD logo for $35, I will prowl the internet for most future items - another time, another thread.

How did the install go?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I haven't got it yet and was scoping hardware and install options / cost.
The HD airwing and light looks really good and I think the install looks straight forward. Planning to do this in March. Let me know if you find a better option.
Thanks.:thumb

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any issues with the paint chipping or cracking when you drilled through the tour pack?

·
MPG'S? Who gives a
9,925 Posts
Any issues with the paint chipping or cracking when you drilled through the tour pack?
BIG DOG,just put down some masking tape before marking the holes and drill through the tape instead of directly on the paint. :thumb

·
Retired Air Force
120 Posts
Thanks gents...just wanted to make sure.
:thumb
BigDog...first off...nice ride (got the same/color)...:nod

Another little tip (from the million of holes I've drilled as an aircraft structural mechanic), to further what craiger suggested, use a drill stop to keep from damaging the fiberglass/paint. To make your own drill stop, wrap the upper end of the drill bit with several turns of electrical tape...this will keep the chuck of the drill impacting the surface as you break through.

·
Registered
3 Posts
luggage rack

Here are pics of the premium luggage rack I installed this last Friday. Took 1/2 hour. Really easyto install. Also installed the new Tour Pack hinge kit. Sure looks a lot nicer than the old style barn door type hidge that Harley seems to have always used.

Tim :nod
Just can't get the nerve to drill that first hole.:1drink:1drink:1drink

·
Registered
83 Posts
Just dont get the guts to drill that first hole from a 6 pack of I can do it now juice. Then it costs ya twice as much. The stealers love that.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just dont get the guts to drill that first hole from a 6 pack of I can do it now juice. Then it costs ya twice as much. The stealers love that.
Coffee and a shot of baileys maybe...it's only 42 degrees this weekend so I'm going to wait for a warmer weekend.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm about to install a rack too

I am going to install a premium rack, I have the template but I guess I just do not quite get it.. I see I have to cut the template for the rack that I have and align it with the rear of the top cover but the "printed" spots to drill the holes are not in the same locations as the actual posts on the rack. Am I missing somthing really simple here???

I know this is a "no brainer" but I guess my brain is somewhere else...

Thanks
Royce in NH:confused

1 - 20 of 27 Posts