Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got a 2013 street bob. was breaking in engine. 20 miles on it. stupid me thought i was in first gear but was in second. took of in 2nd gear. lugged engine. is this going to harm the engine. i know how important those first 50 miles are.

·
THE Yuppie Outlaw
10,082 Posts
Did you figure it out and downshift right away?

I am nothing more than a shadetree wrench, but I would think that you are just fine as long as you don't make a habit of it.

A lot of people talk and act like their bikes are made of glass, when in fact these modern engines are incredible strong.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
If you give the motor gas and it accelerated, it was not lugging - at least not for long enough to matter.

Lugging happens when you apply more fuel and the engine cannot increase RPMs. Typically you'll get a "knocking" or at least a rattle type feed back from the motor. Basically the load on the motor is greater than the output, so it slows down.

BTW, on flat ground or less my EGC can pull out in 2nd pretty easily actually.

·
nitro freak
1,264 Posts
lugging would do harm from long term,just once aint going hurt anything

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am very overly worried because it happened during the crucial first 50 mile break in. Don't know if that matters or not. Did it prevent the rings from seating properly?

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
That motor is toast........concider a rebuild quick:rofl:

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
I am very overly worried because it happened during the crucial first 50 mile break in. Don't know if that matters or not. Did it prevent the rings from seating properly?
Omg don't worry!!! He he he

Your fine man just friggin enjoy the thing!! If you did do damage (which you didn't...really) its too late now anyway so just ride!!

Good to be concerned but I mean hey, ya don't wanna loose sleep over it, Jack!!!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
nitro freak
1,264 Posts
lugging would have nothing to do with the rings or break in ,exessive lugging f*cks up the rod bearings,like i said,one time aint going to hurt,dont make a habit of it

·
Just Ride
3,211 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts