Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,
I picked up a softail tank in Luxury blue, which is beautiful. I now need to get my front and rear fender for my 02 sporty painted to match. Here is my issue: I really don't want to pay $800 to have 2 fenders painted (that is the price of 5 quotes from various shops in DFW) but I want them to actually look good. Is this a hard enough paint scheme that I should pay for it to be done or should I give it a shot? I can get the paint and supplies for about $150 which is a much better price point than $800. When I look at the tank (factory paint) the base coat is black, then the blue sprayed over then clear. To me that seems easy enough; only thing I'm worried about is getting the right ratio of blue and black and all. Anyway, what do you guys think?

·
Banned
71 Posts
Guys,
I picked up a softail tank in Luxury blue, which is beautiful. I now need to get my front and rear fender for my 02 sporty painted to match. Here is my issue: I really don't want to pay $800 to have 2 fenders painted (that is the price of 5 quotes from various shops in DFW) but I want them to actually look good. Is this a hard enough paint scheme that I should pay for it to be done or should I give it a shot? I can get the paint and supplies for about $150 which is a much better price point than $800. When I look at the tank (factory paint) the base coat is black, then the blue sprayed over then clear. To me that seems easy enough; only thing I'm worried about is getting the right ratio of blue and black and all. Anyway, what do you guys think?
Painting is an art form, some people have the talent for it, and some people don't .

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm with you but $800 for 2 small fenders is crazy talk. I've paint fenders in the past that have come out well but I've not done a paint job with a 2 tone style like this is.

·
Banned
71 Posts
You have to understand, it it's a Harley, the price goes up. :eek

Tell'em its off a Honda , and they'll lower their price. :)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Can I throw myself on this fire?

If you have a gun (HVLP preferred)...PRACTICE on something. Buy a junkyard fender of some kind off craigslist. I'll give you some tips. The first one is the more lighting the better. You need enough light on the target to see the 'wet edge' of the film you are laying down. Sometimes you have to play with the angle of the lighting to obtain the correct oblique angle. The second tip is this: same speed - same distance - same delivery.

Same speed means your arm and elbow move fluidly at the same rate to make the gun maintain the same speed as it crosses from one end to the other.

Same distance means that your arm and your elbow work together to keep the gun at the same distance from the target (fender in this case) from one end to the other.

Same delivery means that you aren't fiddling with the trigger as you move across your fender. 100% trigger 100% of the time. No deviation ever.

Personally I think this is an opportunity for you to try something different. I say go for it.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The good thing is I have my stock fender that I can practice on and found the paint online. Waiting to see if it is a ready to spray, (already has the catalyst and all) or if it doesn't. The paint I found is in a Quart size which is plenty to practice and spray the 2 fenders I need done.

I'll get a gun and I have an air compressor, the lighting my garage is actually really good plus I have extra drop lights that will help if needed.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Make sure you don't buy the cheapest air compressor you can find. It won't deliver enough air to the gun. Cfm delivery at 90psi is more important than Cfm at 125psi. If u need help or have questions pm me...we can even do the phone call thing.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Actually I think that is supposed to be 40psi and 90psi respectively.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks man I appreciate it. I'll definitely get in touch with you. I have a small air compressor (pancake 3 gal) that more than likely I will not use because it's a cheap Home Depot brand one. At my family's farm, however, we have a full setup with a 50 gal air compressor (cousin is welder) that I will use. I'll shoot you a PM with some more questions once I get the paint in hand.

·
Hard Member
3,255 Posts
Thanks man I appreciate it. I'll definitely get in touch with you. I have a small air compressor (pancake 3 gal) that more than likely I will not use because it's a cheap Home Depot brand one. At my family's farm, however, we have a full setup with a 50 gal air compressor (cousin is welder) that I will use. I'll shoot you a PM with some more questions once I get the paint in hand.
Putting my .02, get advise from the place where you buy the paint. 3 step process means that metal part is removed from the color, and makes the paint change color in the sun.. Also 3 parts coatings give the tins an awsome graphic look. Next, make sure you have the right temperature according to paint manufacturer. I did my tour pack, came out ok. Now I am redoing the lid, front fairing, leg shields and side cover but have to wait for warmer days.

·
Registered
340 Posts
My lowrider is luxury blue with pinstripe. I'm in love with this color.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Here ya go.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hence the reason why I want to repaint my fenders to match the tank. It's just a great looking color. I think I'm going to give it a try. Worst case, I can just have it done later if I mess up on my practice fender.

·
Smiles. A lot!
8,683 Posts
Well I would get it done right. ..if you can do it great. But I would have to get help on that one! But imo it would be worth it

1 - 20 of 21 Posts