Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, what type of oil do you M8 owners like to run? I just picked up my first M8 114 and wondering if I should stick with the HD 360 20W50 and HD filter or use a synthetic like Amsoil V-Twin or Mobil 1. On the filter, I see others recommending the trusted K&N KN-171b.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Pick your favorite brand of synthetic oil (20W-50) and your favorite oil filter. Changing the oil and filter is what matters. You spent thousands of dollars on your bike - don't go cheap on the oil and filter.

Reactions: mcburton3

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pick your favorite brand of synthetic oil (20W-50) and your favorite oil filter. Changing the oil and filter is what matters. You spent thousands of dollars on your bike - don't go cheap on the oil and filter.
Amen! Any reason one can't use the same synthetic oil in the tranny (e.g., Amsoil)? The manual notes HD Screamin Eagle SYN3 20W50 works so it stands to reason Amsoil 20W50 would be ok.

·
Registered
42,905 Posts
It would be ok, gear oil would be better.

Even the MoCo has started offering gear oil.

Mobil One has 75W-140, available as near as your local Wal-Farts or Vato Zone.

Reactions: Harleyjef

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Amen! Any reason one can't use the same synthetic oil in the tranny (e.g., Amsoil)? The manual notes HD Screamin Eagle SYN3 20W50 works so it stands to reason Amsoil 20W50 would be ok.
I use Amsoil V-Twin 20W-50 for the engine, Amsoil V-Twin Primary Fluid, and Amsoil V-Twin Transmission Fluid. I change them all at 5,000 miles even though I could go longer on the transmission - One quart - no big deal. I change the oil each Spring regardless of mileage.

Reactions: JLR

·
old scoot coot
5,141 Posts
welcome aboard mcburton from s.e. kansas. stick around and have some fun. the choices on oil are many and the opinions are many more. any good quality filter and synthetic oil will be fine in engine. gl5 rated gear oil in trans, engine oil doesn't have the shear strength. i'm in the group using transmission fluid in the primary. there again opinions are many. regular fluid changes at recommended intervals or a little before is the halmark of well cared for long running healthy engines, primaries and transmissions. my interval of choice is 4,000 miles, engine and primary. transmission every 8,000 miles. 5qts with filter in engine on your new m8 scoot. enjoy you new scoot. the m8's go like hell!​

1 - 8 of 8 Posts