Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 Roadglide Special. Harley did my 1000 mile service on my bike about 7 months ago. Bike currently has 4713 miles Headed to Sturgis from So Cal in a cpl days. About 3-4 months ago I noticed the transmission was low so I added about 12-15 oz. roughly into it and thought maybe the dealer didn’t fill it correctly. Long shot but never know.
Today I emptied the motor transmission and primary each time I did each one separately and put used oil back into the empty courts measuring how much came out exactly. When I emptied the primary I got about 52 oz. out of it it’s only supposed to have 34 max. I called Harley and they said it’s covered under warranty and to bring it in when I get back from Sturgis has anybody dealt with this issue?
They mentioned a mushroom valve I think the tech called it. But I’ve seen some people installing a vent on the primary side not sure if one option is better then the other ?

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
The vent is the fix. If they would have let me try that like I wanted in June of 2017 on my 2017 RK, I'd probably still own it but I got frustrated after 2 different M8's doing the same thing and I went back to a Rushmore SGS. Happy as hell now!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you everyone I’m hoping they install this vent. Yesterday 8/1/20 when I spoke to the dealership they mentioned something about a mushroom valve (Think that’s what the tech called it) I’m guessing that’s the plastic white piece in the video that goes on the transmission side. Maybe they don’t put the primary vent on till the second time people bring them in.

·
Registered
409 Posts
My understanding is the vent is the only fix, at least that’s what I was told by the mechanic at the dealership.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
My understanding is the vent is the only fix, at least that’s what I was told by the mechanic at the dealership.
Certainly the best one at this point, but IMHO, I still feel it's just a Band-Aid for a problem they can't find. How many other Primary Cases are vented? Why the M8?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I called a buddy that has a 2020 road glide special in from the factory they started installing the vent in the primary it looks just like the vent on the top of the transmission cover when I called the dealer again today they said that is what they’re going to do to it

·
Veteran
32 Posts
I have a 2019 Roadglide Special. Harley did my 1000 mile service on my bike about 7 months ago. Bike currently has 4713 miles Headed to Sturgis from So Cal in a cpl days. About 3-4 months ago I noticed the transmission was low so I added about 12-15 oz. roughly into it and thought maybe the dealer didn’t fill it correctly. Long shot but never know.
Today I emptied the motor transmission and primary each time I did each one separately and put used oil back into the empty courts measuring how much came out exactly. When I emptied the primary I got about 52 oz. out of it it’s only supposed to have 34 max. I called Harley and they said it’s covered under warranty and to bring it in when I get back from Sturgis has anybody dealt with this issue?
They mentioned a mushroom valve I think the tech called it. But I’ve seen some people installing a vent on the primary side not sure if one option is better then the other ?
I have a 2018 Ultra Classic that just turned 30K miles and this is the 1st time I noticed the same problem. The dealership made a record of it and said Harley will not fix it unless it happens again so I'm keeping a close eye on it for the next 2500 miles. Harley wants it documented twice before repairing it according to my dealer in San Diego.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The vent kit, the 4th generation oil pump and the clutch slinger all are bandaids to the bad cylinder ring seal.
If your experiencing transfer, you havecylinder pressure blowing past the rings. Eventually it sumps and the next chapter is a new cylinder kit.
we have seen 6 bikes suffer this avoidable issue but it requires an upgraded cylinder, piston and ring kit.
money very well spent if you don’t want to have a M8 centerpiece on your table....

·
Registered
39,579 Posts
The vent kit, the 4th generation oil pump and the clutch slinger all are bandaids to the bad cylinder ring seal.
If your experiencing transfer, you havecylinder pressure blowing past the rings. Eventually it sumps and the next chapter is a new cylinder kit.
we have seen 6 bikes suffer this avoidable issue but it requires an upgraded cylinder, piston and ring kit.
money very well spent if you don’t want to have a M8 centerpiece on your table....
How does the engine pressurize the transmission?

·
old scoot coot
3,711 Posts
I have a 2018 Ultra Classic that just turned 30K miles and this is the 1st time I noticed the same problem. The dealership made a record of it and said Harley will not fix it unless it happens again so I'm keeping a close eye on it for the next 2500 miles. Harley wants it documented twice before repairing it according to my dealer in San Diego.
i bought my 17 limited m8 this spring. it had no history of transfer. i checked by removing the crank position sensor, there was none. bike had 15,000 when i got it. i installed the vent kit( insanely easy) as an upgrade, also replaced lifters and installed the new 2020 oil pump before ridding it also as an upgrade. has 26,000 miles now and no transfer or sumping. i also did stage one and installed a tunner. the m8 goes like hell and will blow the doors off my 14 limited also stage one with tunner. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts