Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
weird member
1,812 Posts
That first video, the way he tightened, I mean the manual on the Evo said to go 1/8th a turn at a time in sequence, the Cometic gasket instructions didn't mention that 1/8 turn and just said to go to 10 lbs, then 20, etc, if I remember right. So this kind of head bolt torquing is not new, and given that the whole idea is to compress it evenly, and that tightening one side increases pressure on the other... I mean, are they not teaching that?

When I put my Evo back together, I did each bolt only 1/8th a turn at a time in sequence until I hit the ft-lbs according to the torque steps in the Cometic MLS head gasket instructions. I didn't just run the first in sequence to 10, then the next, then the next, I ran them 1/8th of a turn in sequence until they hit 10 lbs, then I went to the next torque spec in the same fashion. Sure, it took longer, but I didn't break anything and everything sealed like it's supposed to. Why change a process known to work? And maybe it isn't necessary to go so slow and cautious with it, but when you're talking about an engine in general, let alone a performance modified engine, why not err on the side of caution?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts