Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

· Registered
21 LowRider S
46,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats the great thing about the 4V M8 heads. You dont need nearly the same amount of lift on the M8 as you do on a TC to get the same power.

I'm running .569" lift cam on mine, where the RS468 is running .470" lift and getting about the same power.

· Registered
21 LowRider S
46,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm running a Woods22X in a 114 with D&D Fat cat and Powervision... absolutely love it ! The cam hits @2000 rpm up to about 4800rpm which is good for my style of riding.
Just had a D&D Fat Cat installed on my bike. Looks like a beast of a pipe. :nod

Reactions: JTJ

· Registered
21 LowRider S
46,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Still in shop wrapping things up. Wideband O2 extensions didn't come in, so dealer is going to set it up to run on the OEM narrow band sensors till the extensions come in. Pics to come.

Reactions: JTJ and SPLAT

· Registered
21 LowRider S
46,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got some bad news from the shop. They tested my bike after getting everything back together and heard some noise.
Took the heads off and found the cylinders had some scoring. Waiting now to see what HD wants to do.

· Registered
21 LowRider S
46,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well HD is sending out a new short block assembly, and the dealer is sourcing a new 131 kit. Really bad scoring on the front cylinder and obvious overheating mark on the front spigot about 2" round. Anything that oil passes through is getting replaced. Oil pump was shot too from debris passing through it. Everything is being rush shipped except the 131 kit which is already at their sister dealers inventory. Hopefully everything will arrive when they open on Tuesday.

· Registered
21 LowRider S
46,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Like 3 miles on the 131 kit. It never left the shop, I wouldnt have made it home if it did. And the MoCo wanted screenshots of the ECM tuning screen looking for any reason they could find to deny the claim.

So, it was a manufacturing defect. I believe the cylinder tolerances was too tight after talking with the mech. I believe everything was done properly on his end after I interviewed him.

Both cylinders had scoring, back was not as prominent as the front but still had obvious scoring, no burn marks on the spigot was mentioned like the front cylinder had.

I am hoping the crank runout on the new bottom end is better than the original which had .004". Just squeaked by on what S&S calls allowable for their billet cam plate, oil pump, or gear drive cams which is .005". They used to say .003" was max allowable, but have recently changed that spec. I would like to see the new bottom end meet the old S&S standard, and most M8 cranks are within .005, the MoCo's spec is .010" or less.

· Registered
21 LowRider S
46,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Well, I would have had to do the 500 mike break in anyway. I was hoping to be able to do that before eureka springs, but now that will be impossible.

Reactions: sardonicus87

· Registered
21 LowRider S
46,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
They did not determine the cause, but it looks like to me that the cylinders were under size to cause that huge burn discoloration in 3 - 4 miles!

Cylinders being too small would also cause insufficient oil lubrication of the cylinders as well.

If the cylinders and pistons were scored without the black coating being rubbed off severely and over heating marks, then yeah, I'd say mechanic error. But the MoCo didn't even send out an inspector which would be normal procedure when something like this happens, so I think the MoCo knows there is a problem and authorized complete motor replacement over the phone.

· Registered
21 LowRider S
46,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 · (Edited)
As short lived at that was, it looks like poor preparation during pre-assembly, that is signs of dirt in the cylinder or on the piston that didn't get properly cleaned, those vertical streaks look like something was broaching the cylinder wall. those 2 oval spots about a 1/3 of the way down the cylinder look like a distortion created tight spot. That motor would need the cases split and everything cleaned and all bearings and seals replaced before being used again. Hopefully they will save you time by replacing the whole engine. What does the combustion chamber look like? Does it show signs of metal bouncing around?
Yeah anything that has oil passing through it will get replaced. Oil lines, oil cooler etc...

Combustion chamber looks ok, but heads will be replaced. New short block (for the second time) + new 131 kit (for the third time) + push rods, lifters, oil pump etc.

It will have more money in motor replacements & labor than what I paid for the bike.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts