Harley Davidson Forums banner
41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
43,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 · (Edited)
As short lived at that was, it looks like poor preparation during pre-assembly, that is signs of dirt in the cylinder or on the piston that didn't get properly cleaned, those vertical streaks look like something was broaching the cylinder wall. those 2 oval spots about a 1/3 of the way down the cylinder look like a distortion created tight spot. That motor would need the cases split and everything cleaned and all bearings and seals replaced before being used again. Hopefully they will save you time by replacing the whole engine. What does the combustion chamber look like? Does it show signs of metal bouncing around?
Yeah anything that has oil passing through it will get replaced. Oil lines, oil cooler etc...

Combustion chamber looks ok, but heads will be replaced. New short block (for the second time) + new 131 kit (for the third time) + push rods, lifters, oil pump etc.

It will have more money in motor replacements & labor than what I paid for the bike.

·
Former Lurker
3,972 Posts
Yeah anything that has oil passing through it will get replaced. Oil lines, oil cooler etc...

Combustion chamber looks ok, but heads will be replaced. New short block (for the second time) + new 131 kit (for the third time) + push rods, lifters, oil pump etc.

It will have more money in motor replacements & labor than what I paid for the bike.
Ouch. Hope they get it squared away. I know it is nice to have the numbers match, (especially for a new bike,) but would you be better served by them installing a new factory built crate 131? Not sure that is what you want, but it may be a better build...

·
Registered
43,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
MoCo refuses to send a crate motor as that is not what was installed initially despite all the part numbers being identical to the kit + short block.

Numbers no longer match as the last motor was built on a replacement short block.

Only way to get a numbers matching bike now is to lemon law it and start over.

·
Registered
659 Posts
MoCo refuses to send a crate motor as that is not what was installed initially despite all the part numbers being identical to the kit + short block.

Numbers no longer match as the last motor was built on a replacement short block.

Only way to get a numbers matching bike now is to lemon law it and start over.

sounds like a plan

what's the dealer attitude towards any of the options?

·
Registered
43,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
They already tried getting a crate motor. MoCo said no.

·
old scoot coot
5,564 Posts
They already tried getting a crate motor. MoCo said no.
man, i just found these posts. i've been wondering what was going on. won't they provide documents to support the number change? i don't know how all that works but i didn't think that would be a problem. the thing that gets me is they are going to supply all the parts new, exactly what makes up a crate motor. and they are going to have to pay dlr a buttload of labor for building up another engine. just doesn't make sense. at the mfg level the labor for assembleing the parts to a complete engine would be a fraction of what they will have to compensate the dlr.

·
Former Lurker
3,972 Posts
Any idea what their, "Plan," is to get you a good running bike that you trust? Is this correct that it will be the 3rd build?? Can you get them to have the MoCo send a "High end, Quality Control tech/rep" (if there is such a thing) to oversee this next build?
Just hope they fix it for you. I want a full blown 131 so bad it hurts, just can't afford it. Was not expecting to see trouble like this with one...

·
Administrator
13,681 Posts
Wow, just stumbled on this thread. Sorry to hear Brian. I hope they make it right by you. You get a loaner bike?

·
Registered
43,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Cam bolt broke and let the cam walk out and started to hammer the lifters.

• Haha
Reactions: Oclaf

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
Geeze !!! Never heard of such a thing. Ya think this is one of those "one in a million" scenarios, or, maybe some of the innards just ain't up handling the 131?

·
Registered
43,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 · (Edited)
I think it takes a hell of a lot to break a bolt! But coming back from ES, it was making some noise. I wasn't sure if it was coming from the primary or not, but the farther we went it was getting louder till after we stopped south of Joplin for some breakfast was hoping to baby it back to home or Tommy's, shortly after we took off again I heard it go "pop" and I knew it wasn't making it anywhere. Stopped at the first gas station we came to, which took several miles to find! We were in the middle of nowhere!

Could explain why I saw oil on the cam chest under the timer cover, if the cam bolt gave way and punched a hole in it.

I think if there was a widespread issue, it would be all over the internet, but it isn't.

I must have done more than piss in somebody's Wheaties in a previous life... I must have taken a full on deuce in them for this to be happening to me!

·
Registered
264 Posts
At first I felt bad for you, now I just want to congratulate you - Your extermination of the cam bolt and lifters is “more gooder“ than anything I’ve ever seen.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
That would be easier to start with a new block as they will have to strip it all the way down, put it all in a dishwasher, and inspect every moving surface for damage then build back up with all new bearings. Had a roller lifter turn (broken tie bar) in a Wedge motor decades ago, 30 seconds and wiped the lobe off the cam, had to pull the motor down and wash everything, lucky the metal only made it to the oil pan and not sucked up the pump, new cam, lifter, tie bar, gaskets and the motor was ready for the track.

·
Registered
43,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
That would be easier to start with a new block as they will have to strip it all the way down, put it all in a dishwasher, and inspect every moving surface for damage then build back up with all new bearings. Had a roller lifter turn (broken tie bar) in a Wedge motor decades ago, 30 seconds and wiped the lobe off the cam, had to pull the motor down and wash everything, lucky the metal only made it to the oil pan and not sucked up the pump, new cam, lifter, tie bar, gaskets and the motor was ready for the track.
They will start all over with a new short block assembly.

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Didn't the cams get changed? Maybe it should be the dealers dime, not MoCo's

·
old scoot coot
5,564 Posts
I think it takes a hell of a lot to break a bolt! But coming back from ES, it was making some noise. I wasn't sure if it was coming from the primary or not, but the farther we went it was getting louder till after we stopped south of Joplin for some breakfast was hoping to baby it back to home or Tommy's, shortly after we took off again I heard it go "pop" and I knew it wasn't making it anywhere. Stopped at the first gas station we came to, which took several miles to find! We were in the middle of nowhere!

Could explain why I saw oil on the cam chest under the timer cover, if the cam bolt gave way and punched a hole in it.

View attachment 797008

I think if there was a widespread issue, it would be all over the internet, but it isn't.

I must have done more than piss in somebody's Wheaties in a previous life... I must have taken a full on deuce in them for this to be happening to me!
i think you have used all your bad luck up! we are very close to gettin some road time hermano!

·
weird member
1997 Softail Custom (FXSTC)
3,449 Posts
Yeah, it's like you borrowed some of my luck. I was at my local dealer the other day to check on the turn signal module I had ordered and was just talking with one of the guys in parts about random stuff and they've done several of the 131" upgrades without having any problems. They even had upgraded a Low Rider S with the 131" kit.

So I don't think it's some sort of widespread issue. That's why I was wondering before if there wasn't some kind of issue in the case this whole time.

41 - 60 of 78 Posts