Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
New Harley Owner
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me if there is a tool to clean up the threads on my main shaft? Drive Pulley came loose, or the nut I should say and did me no favors on those left handed threads.

Also tried looking online where I could purchase the main shaft if I had no other choice.

Threads are still there but not clean enough for that slim retaining nut to start back on the shaft

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Tell us the model and year...

The pulley does not mount to the main shaft, it mounts to the main drive gear (AKA fifth gear, mainshaft).

The mainshaft is the narrow shaft that passes through this gear, the clutch is mounted to the mainshaft.

Inspect the splines carefully, on both the pulley and the gear, if there is any damage, the part should not be reused, or you will have another loose pulley...

Don`t reuse the spacer, or nut.

·
New Harley Owner
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice from all three of you, I appreciate it. I think it funny how limited the information that is out there on the internet, this is a great place to here from others,

Thanks again

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've got the exact same issue, 1992 FXRS. Followed the link to the left hand re-threading dies, very helpful tyvm.

Cap screws holding the retaining plate for the pulley backed out (previous owner did not loctite! Infuriating) sheared the heads off, milling out my inner primary a bit destroying the IP seal and allowing the nut to loosen as well as the pulley. Once loose, mangled the outermost threads on main drive gear a bit as well as in the nut. Will buy a new but.

Hoping I can figure out thread size and pitch on the main drive gear and use one of these dies to clean it up... If anyone has any further info or tips much appreciated!

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Make sure you go back together with the latest hardware, the `92 model year had the improved lock plate, but in mid `94 a new pulley, spacer, and big oil seal was introduced, you want to use all this hardware.

The failure of the lock plate screws probably had nothing to do with the failure (they come with locking paste on them), but was probably caused by the pulley rocking on the spacer, which will shear the screw heads off.

The new configuration has a spacer with a larger outer diameter and shorter length, and the new pulley has deeper splines, both of which keeps the pulley from rocking.

Inspect the splines on the main drive gear, if they are damaged, replace the gear, or you will be right back here again...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Make sure you go back together with the latest hardware, the `92 model year had the improved lock plate, but in mid `94 a new pulley, spacer, and big oil seal was introduced, you want to use all this hardware.

The failure of the lock plate screws probably had nothing to do with the failure (they come with locking paste on them), but was probably caused by the pulley rocking on the spacer, which will shear the screw heads off.

The new configuration has a spacer with a larger outer diameter and shorter length, and the new pulley has deeper splines, both of which keeps the pulley from rocking.

Inspect the splines on the main drive gear, if they are damaged, replace the gear, or you will be right back here again...
Thank you! Excellent advice.

·
Retired citizen
22,484 Posts
Like said, the thread file would be the best tool for the job. A left hand die that size will really set ya back$.
Also if the OP intends to replace the 5th drive gear he needs to use the proper special removal / installation tools for that particular job.
A word of caution here, never pound on the 5th gear to get it out of the 5th gear bearing. There's a narrow land, part of the case casting, behind that bearing that'll break out then the case has to be replaced.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Like said, the thread file would be the best tool for the job. A left hand die that size will really set ya back$.
Also if the OP intends to replace the 5th drive gear he needs to use the proper special removal / installation tools for that particular job.
A word of caution here, never pound on the 5th gear to get it out of the 5th gear bearing. There's a narrow land, part of the case casting, behind that bearing that'll break out then the case has to be replaced.
That is some excellent advice!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Upon further inspection my main drive gear is ruined. Hairline crack perpendicular to the case and the threads are mangled. To get this out (with a proper tool) am I going to be rebuilding the entire transmission? Or can the MDG be removed without any further steps?

This is the farthest I've been into this bike and im getting overwhelmed / out of my depth.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts