Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 streetglde with 95 kit. It has aprox 40000km/25000miles on it. Rather than buy newer, i want to keep this one. What kind of maintenace should i do do to keep it reliable for another 25000. I am gong to replace the belt and drive sprockets as the rear sprocket is chipping. I am going to replace the cam chain tensioners and upgrade the cam brgs. They tell me the 2006 compensater should be fine along with the transmission-that both are bullet proof with this year of bike. Anything else i should be looking into? Thanks for any thoughts or info.

·
Retired citizen
23,190 Posts
The front and rear fork bearings should be adjusted.
The tensioners and cam bearings weren't a problem in '06 but easy enough to check.
Check tightness of the shift arm at the trans behind the inner primary.
It might be a good idea to purchase the H-D service manual, a well spent 60 bucks.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did check the cam tensioners. They had aprox .030 wear.Now that I know they are worn some,I would rather just replace them. The shift arm is ok, I have seen them come loose also. I am just not comfortable with pulling the clutch and all that off and to remove and replace the swingarm myself to change the belt and sprockets. I am not sure if I have the proper tools and hoist. I have a Clymer repair manual,prob not as good as the Harley one. That is what I am looking for, stuff to check that other people have had problems with. I want to give it the "once over" to help ensure trouble free riding for the next while. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a 2010 FLHTK and I am at 25k. One thing the manual recommends replacing is the fuel filter. Not sure if that is the case with your year but with the crappy gas nowadays may be a good idea to replace it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
buy the manual and follow the recommended servicing, you cant go wrong with that!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts