Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an 09 Sporty XL883L with 450 miles. It just reached 500 miles. I have no idea if the oil has ever been changed. I am an auto mechanic, so I know my way around cars, but bikes and v-twins are totally new to me.

The oil is still full and looks fresh, but like I said, I have no idea if it has been changed yet, nor do I know if any maintenance has yet been performed on the bike for that matter.

I will soon be taking some long trips, and I want to ensure she's ready to roll. At this point, at 4 years old and 500 miles, what should I do to the bike, if anything? Besides shining every square inch of it - got that covered! :)

Oh, and I just bought some Cycle Shack slip-ons to replace the stockers. They sound fantastic! I guess I am supposed to get the ECM re-tuned, but I was thinking since they're slip ons and nothing else has been changed, it would be okay. Thoughts on that?

·
Registered
139 Posts
If you throw a higher flowing AC then the ECU will need help. Its fine as it is.

Change the fluids now and adjust the clutch and and clutch lever cable. If the clutch cable adjustment has the boot over it it might be rusted. If so replace the cable. It is easy to do. Seen that happen on bikes that sit a long time.

Ditch the stock tires. Almost anything is better than the stock tires and original 130s on the rear will increase handleing bunches. The 150 rear is a looks thing and hurts the sporty nature of the bike. You'll be happy you did.

And have fun.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
If you throw a higher flowing AC then the ECU will need help. Its fine as it is.

Change the fluids now and adjust the clutch and and clutch lever cable. If the clutch cable adjustment has the boot over it it might be rusted. If so replace the cable. It is easy to do. Seen that happen on bikes that sit a long time.

Ditch the stock tires. Almost anything is better than the stock tires and original 130s on the rear will increase handleing bunches. The 150 rear is a looks thing and hurts the sporty nature of the bike. You'll be happy you did.

And have fun.
Tires
Yup. After 5 years regardless of wear you want to replace tires due to the rubber hardening, sidewall cracks...etc
Figure those tires were made in mid 08 to early 09 most likely so that's 4 years. You could go a season with them actually....I probably would. That's up to you I suppose.

Anyway... the clutch cable if rusted shouldn't be too bad with some penetrating fluid. That bike isn't too old for it to be rusted solid I don't think. If the cable is rusty inside the cable housing....replace it.
Also, there is a sticky on this in some section of the forum I forget, lube the clutch cable it makes it feel way better.

Other than that fluids and ride!! If your gonna ride at night buy the Sylvania silverstar ultra bulb. It is a helluva lot better than stock.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Get a maintenance manual and mights as well do the 1,000 mile maintenance early. The money you spend the first time on tools will come back to you on your next service. Besides, it's fun. A lift is good as well.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Tires
Yup. After 5 years regardless of wear you want to replace tires due to the rubber hardening, sidewall cracks...etc
Figure those tires were made in mid 08 to early 09 most likely so that's 4 years. You could go a season with them actually....I probably would. That's up to you I suppose.

Anyway... the clutch cable if rusted shouldn't be too bad with some penetrating fluid. That bike isn't too old for it to be rusted solid I don't think. If the cable is rusty inside the cable housing....replace it.
Also, there is a sticky on this in some section of the forum I forget, lube the clutch cable it makes it feel way better.

Other than that fluids and ride!! If your gonna ride at night buy the Sylvania silverstar ultra bulb. It is a helluva lot better than stock.

When I woke up a couple years ago and got me a very little used 07 883 over them big inch bikes my cable adjuster was so rusted it broke complete in half when I tried to break it loose to adjust it. Leave the boot off the new cable, all it does is keep moisture in to rust it. A little rust is ok but if it requires oil to break it loose, replace it. Wont be worth it to have it snap on a ride. They are cheap and easy to replace.

FWIW I also ran the dunlops till they had no more, figured why not. Saved me some cash but in the end it was not worth it.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
When I woke up a couple years ago and got me a very little used 07 883 over them big inch bikes my cable adjuster was so rusted it broke complete in half when I tried to break it loose to adjust it. Leave the boot off the new cable, all it does is keep moisture in to rust it. A little rust is ok but if it requires oil to break it loose, replace it. Wont be worth it to have it snap on a ride. They are cheap and easy to replace.

FWIW I also ran the dunlops till they had no more, figured why not. Saved me some cash but in the end it was not worth it.
I wasn't questioning you man!! Just that out of the 4 sporties I have been around (all older and sitting awhile) none of them were rusted that bad.... I like to fill the boot with grease or wd-40 even. Keeps the rust off when riding in the rain.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I wasn't questioning you man!! Just that out of the 4 sporties I have been around (all older and sitting awhile) none of them were rusted that bad.... I like to fill the boot with grease or wd-40 even. Keeps the rust off when riding in the rain.

I know you were not. Just giving my experience why brother..

Its all good my man. I just hate boots like that because they do nothing but trap moisture and require what you do or removal. Removal is easier because I am lazy lol.....

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
I know you were not. Just giving my experience why brother..

Its all good my man. I just hate boots like that because they do nothing but trap moisture and require what you do or removal. Removal is easier because I am lazy lol.....
Part of the problem is that sometimes water and crap gets in the top but gets trapped and goes out the bottom. Another good way to stop that is to zip tie top and bottom or just the top to help stop crud from getting in there...

I like the boot just because it protects the frame from getting all best up from the adjuster. I don't blame you though for not liking it....

Ride on brother!!

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,073 Posts
Only thing I can add to whats been said is to make sure its got a fresh battery, other than that, follow the above and ride safe.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the feedback! I do not think there is any issue with the clutch cable rusting. I know the bike has a little age on it, but it was garage kept and babied. Mind you, I bought this thing from a very well off older gentleman, 80+ y/o. I can tell he took very good care of it, because he seemed like the type, the bike is flawless, and he definitely had the money. This bike looks like it is brand new.

I guess I will look into getting new tires over the winter. Right now, I can't really afford new tires, unfortunately, or I would buy them. They will have to do for this season.

I will do some preventive maintenance and change the fluids and so forth, including lubricating this notorious rusting clutch cable.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,073 Posts
I guess I will look into getting new tires over the winter. Right now, I can't really afford new tires, unfortunately, or I would buy them. They will have to do for this season.
I'm not preachin at ya, its your bike and your life.. that old rubber is not safe, first time ya hit rain, or need those tires to stop, you won't have it. Take it from someone who has been there done that.. will never do it again. Ride safe, enjoy your new toy, she sounds nice.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback! I do not think there is any issue with the clutch cable rusting. I know the bike has a little age on it, but it was garage kept and babied. Mind you, I bought this thing from a very well off older gentleman, 80+ y/o. I can tell he took very good care of it, because he seemed like the type, the bike is flawless, and he definitely had the money. This bike looks like it is brand new.

I will do some preventive maintenance and change the fluids and so forth, including lubricating this notorious rusting clutch cable.
Tires are not expensive as you may think. I run some very afordable tires and they perform as good and better than tires two to three times the price. I just put new skidders on mine for $117.00 for both and they blowaway anything harley could ever dream of putting on their bikes. Thats like a month worth of monsters.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts