Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks...hoping you can help me out. I have a 2004 Road King Classic. I had new ape hangers put on the King but the dealer didn't place the bars in the position I wanted. Right now they're directly in line with the forks and that will make it tough to steer in a slow turn as well as not being overly comfortable. I had some other issues with the mechanic so I don't plan on taking the bike back to them. What I need to know is how do I go about loosening off the bars so I can move them to the position I want them in. I am NOT mechanically inclined, so step-by-step instuctions as well as tools and size I would need would be VERY much appreciated. I know that because of the cowling over the handlebars on the Road King I need to take the headlight off, or at least the ring around the headlight, but whatever you can tell me would really help. Thanks in advance.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
You need to take the headlight ring off. Then remove the headlight bucket, with the headlight in place. There are screws on the outer parimeter of the bucket.

Then, inside the nacel, there's 1-2 nuts holding the trim in place that runs down the top center of the nacel, from the handlebar cover.

Then, take a small screw driver and carefully pry the black ring off from around the keyhole on the triangular cover over the handlebars.

Remove the 2 screws that hold that cover on, and you'll see the handlebar mounting bolts.

Loosen, readjust and reverse procedure for installation.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Do you have a removable slot in the handlebar cover ? if so remove it and loosen the 2 screws to move the bars at least thats how the moco manual tell you to do it on later models like my 08 RKC

1 - 3 of 3 Posts